public footpaths

hi, just getting used to spotting the red blue yellow markings identifying footpaths, but not quite sure what they all mean. seen some straight yellow blue and red ones, some of the same colours at a 90 degree angle, some double yellow ones, some yellow crosses. i'm a bit confused !!

does anyone know what they all mean or where i can get a guide to them? thanks for any information. mel .

What area are you in?  A lot of Tourist Info offices have maps for free or small cost given routes and markings.  Basically any marking with parallel lines or arrow is the way to go, crosses are the way NOT to go.  Don't do as I once did and start off with one colour route then change as 'that way looks nicer' - I walked MUCH further than anticipated!

See http://www.cantal-walking.com/footpaths.html . I think red and white markings are universal for GRs. Otherwise, I think local rules apply but different colours usually mean different degrees of length. Even for GRs, it is sometimes difficult to spot the markings. As with French road signs, if you don't see any markings that usually means you should just keep going in the same direction but it's not an approach that I like. After a while doubt always sets in. Best to always have a map & compass or map & GPS.