skiing in the Pyrenees

toni

I know its only August but I'm trying to plan my next getaway already- namely during the Christmas  or Feb mid-term hols! We would like to head to the eastern Pyrenées for some skiing and were wondering is it possible to get from Gerona airport to any of the French  ski areas without hiring a car i.e. by  bus, train or a combination of both as I don't relish the thoughts of snow chains, icy roads etc. Any recommendations on your favorite (family friendly) resort would also be very welcome.

There's a train line from Barcelona to Toulouse via Ax-les Thermes, I think.  Certainly when I drive from Foix to Andorra the line follows the road (N20) through Tarascon and Ax and then on into Spain.  Presumably passes through or near to Gerona.  From Ax, it's a short taxi ride to the Plateau de Beille ski resort (like 5 mins).  Are you set on France?  Presumably you could get to Andorra-la-Vella fairly easily, and then take the bus up to the Soldeu resort?  Better skiing, more snow, but typically soulless Andorran resort.

Guzet Neige over by me is better though [;-)], although you'd struggle to get there by public transport. 

All of the Pyreneen resorts tend to be fairly family friendly compared to the Alps, by all accounts.

Good luck, anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Toni,

We actually run a winter ski business in Bagneres de Luchon which has its own very French and family friendly ski resort of Superbagneres. In addition we are fortunate to be surrounded by a number of other resorts including Peyragudes which is only 15 to 20 minutes away and Baqueira Beret in Spain. If you are still looking for either a Christmas or Half Term holiday our package includes a free transfer service to and from Toulouse which takes approximately an hour and a half.

Have a look at our website to discover more about the skiing here in the central Pyrenees.

Regards,

Mike

www.peak-times.com