Aero Modelling.

Bugsy

What,.........................yet another new hobby. I've recently been to a flying club with a friend and got bitten by it. My workshop is now full of bits for a beginners trainer plane that I'm building.

Are there any RC flyers on here?

Just found the thread BB. I have been flying RC gliders for the past 20 years and LOVE it. I have not done any since we have been here,  I will be getting back into it as soon as I can get hold of the correct frequency gear.

What are you looking at. What kind of model/s? I have everything from traditional balsa models through to bouncy foam jobs... That includes fibreglass and , well the lot really including some electric powered. The only thing that I haven't touched is the noisey i.c. stuff, it upsets me hangover!!

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/MAGISTER7.jpg[/IMG]

That's me in the back ground with a mate launching my Fouga Majister, fibregalss scale model of the French primary jet trainer. It is a glider and flies very well, bit exciting too!

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/MEMINIMOAA.jpg[/IMG]

My 10 foot scale model of a 1936 German glider called a Minimoa. trad build from a plan in balsa and nylon covered.

Wonderful hobby!!!

Edit :- My avitar is the last full sized military Magister in the World! Fantastic in flight. Domage, it's not in the Belgian Air Force any more!!

I've bought, and am building a "Hanger 9" Solo '46'. 1575mm wing span. It will be powered by an OS or Saito 4 stroke motor and controlled by a Fubata 6 channel radio (hopefully).

The local club has a 'buddy' system whereby an experienced pilot connects to your radio and 'gets you out of trouble'. You're not allowed to fly solo until they are happy with your control skills [:(]

I also have a 2 metre slope soarer which is built but never flown. I haven't had the bottle to throw it off a cliff [:D]

I,m going to the club this afternoon with an english friend who flies a lot and makes it look very easy, which I'm sure it's not.

Exciting, isn't it..........................................

Never been near noisey, smellies, bit I suppose that 4 strokes are quieter..[:D] Mind you some electric can be very noisey too

As a matter of interest if you want to throw your sloper off more than once then wait till you can fly. Bin there, done that and it don't work!!

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Models1.jpg[/IMG]

Some of my kit. Top right, a scratch built 1/6th scale 'Venom', balsa. Bottom left bouncy foam tape covered 'Big Willy' (not sure if that will be allowed, W i l l y). Top middle 5th scale (89 inch) 1932 'Grunau Baby' Mk 2. Far left and rght loads of wings!

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Models2.jpg[/IMG]

Port wing and fuz of a 1/4 scale (4 meter) 1936 Habicht in the making for several years now. The Habicht was designed and built specifically to do the flying display for the 1936 Berlin Olympics so that Germany could show the world how good they were!! Flown by Hanna Reich (spelling?)

The buddy box is a good idea. We always used the 'GIMME THE BLOODY TRANNY' method where the 'student' had the tranny and the bloke teaching grabbed it back in time to avoid serious wreckage. Worked for us, but that was the time before buddy boxes anyway!! Easier to do on the slope than the flat...

I am waiting for the new 2.4 gig hz kit to be available in Europe. It's been passed now, but is taking a little while to come through. All my radio is either 35 or 27 meg and with the JR tranny you can plug a 2.4 gig module into the back and save having to replace the whole box. Boat loads of cash that way!!

Hope that you enjoyed your afternoon. There is a big draw back though. It is totally infective and once hooked???

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Is there anyone who knows of any aero modelling clubs or groups in the Vendee. I have always had an interest in flying model aircraft but never had the time. Now, with retirement I have the time but no contacts. In anticipation, Thanks.

Hi Edward, welcome to the hobby. Be awair that it is totally addictive! With the method that a lot of people use to spoil a walk, golf (duck John!!) you walk away from the fiels and that's it, but with model aircraft not so. You cmoe home from the field or hill and build, repair, plan and all sorts of other distractions!! What a magic hobby![:D]

Have a look here http://www.ffam.asso.fr/guidedesterrains/FICHIERS/VENDEE.htm . That gives the clubs where you are and if you look at http://www.ffam.asso.fr/ . I gives you all the gen you need to fly here.

Just one VERY importaint thing, let someone teach you to fly. Dont try yourself, because unless you are VERY lucky you will have more bits than the kit you bought within a very few seconds! I know for a fact that just that few seconds have put a lot of people off of the hobby...

Also remember that if anyone tells you that he is a born flyier then he is a borne lyier. Also, if he hasn't crashed a model it's probably because he has not flown one!!!

Good luck.

This has prompted an update on my own learning curve.

My initial (buddy-box) flights were interesting, the first one especially [:D]. One of our club members suggested that I buy a flight simulator to practice the use of the controls and I bought a Phoenix setup. You use your own trasmitter and I've found it very helpful (and a lot cheaper than crashing planes for real). There is a demo download available from them here for those interested.

As JJ has said, its very addictive.

Gary

Bugbear, why not sell the bike and buy a radio controlled one? (a lot cheaper than risking your life on a real one).

If you want a trip in the microlight then I'll take you for one when the weather warms up.

I 'll even take you to Beynac castle, pictured below, if you want.

[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/bikesindordogne/Flying/pictures%20from%20the%20air/100_1979.jpg[/IMG]

Hello Jonzjob,  Thank you for your rapid reply and the information on clubs. It does look as tho' there is a club quite near me but as my wife and I are off to the sun for a couple of months I will persue it further on our return.

From what I can gather a licence is required to fly models in France, is that correct? Also is it cheaper to buy kits in France or the UK?

Any information, tips, things I should know etc. would be gratefully received

Regards Ed.

Hi Bob, came across a posting from you with a picture from your microlight. I used to fly weightshift microlight until about 5 years ago when we bought our holiday cottage in Mayenne (then something had to go!). I'm keen to start flying again - what is the microlight scene like in France (esp Mayenne, if you know)? I'd have to renew my licence, should I do that in France or here?

Best wishes, Dave

Good luck with you day tomorrow!! Wish I was there... Flat turns, dead easy (as is everything when you know how to do it!!).

Rudder elevator only. For a left turn, little bit of left rudder to start, followed by a slight up on the elevator. The rudder will cause the model to bank and the rudder will then be pointing slightly down. That will cause the nose to drop so a bit of up will counter that. The rudder can then be centralised on some models and the model will continue to turn. On others you will need to keep some rudder on to keep it turning.

Aileron, elevator. Same really as the rudder, but when you hve the required amount of bank you center the ailerons and the elevator will keep the model turning.

The reason for the elevator up is that when the controls are centered and the models wings are at an angle to the left the model will start to 'slip' to the left. The elevator will stop the slip and the turn will be done under the rules of centrefugal force...

Sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but better know twice than not at all. My bible, when I was starting, was Radio Control Guide by Norman Butcher. Bit out of date now, but it gives lots of gen on how to fit and set up servos, mechanical mixers and all sorts of things.

My other 2 bibles are Thermal Soaring by George Stringwell and Slope Soaring by Dave Hughes. Both are mines of info with lots of aerobatic manouvers in the slope book

You are most welcome Gary. I've just been reading about your storms on the BBC web site. Juat light winds, light cloud and warm sun here [6]!!

You could always do some building/repairs I suppose.

One thing to be awaire of if you are using Ni MH batteries is that they loose their charge over time, not like the NiCads that hold theirs. You MUST trickle charge them before every flying session. There is not much worse than having a model go in vertical after a battery failure. I had an incident of a failing, brand new, battery in a sub-c pack and my Minimoa having to be repaired 3 times before I found that cause. A total rebuild from the wing leading edge forward. I had changed everything apart from the new battery. I had done capatance and discharge checks several times with no faults showing, but after the 3rd crash the battery actually failed solid!!! That was a NiCad pack and the only one I have ever had fail.

Something I forgot to mention is that if you get the chance for slope soaring the wind is not a problem. Basically if you can stand up in it then you can fly. I have flown when the wind has been blowing 50 mph. The most difficult part was getting the model to the edge to launch it and it went like a bat out of hell. You have to have the model to fit the wind, that is the only restriction!

Every landing is a 'dead stick' landing too, so you get used to those. One of the most amusing situations I have seen power fliers in is when the lift drops on a slope and they are sinking to the bottom the tendancy is to push the throttle stick and put the nose up. Result instant stall and a walk to the bottom!![6]

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/BAGONHEAD3-1.jpg[/IMG]

One of our more interesting competitions. Bag-on-the-head!!! 1 min to get used to your mates model then a paper bag on yer 'ead for 2 mins with him giving you directions. 2 loops at the end gains extra points. If/when you get into real trouble he will quitely say "Gis-the-tranny" and snatch it maddly from your delicate grip. Don't hesitate to let him have it because he will be the next 'bag-on-the-head flier with your model, if you get the picture. as a matter of interest, we won that particular comp complete with the 2 loops each!! Mad or what, but loads of fun...[:D]

[quote user="Dave"]Hi Bob, came across a posting from you with a picture from your microlight. I used to fly weightshift microlight until about 5 years ago when we bought our holiday cottage in Mayenne (then something had to go!). I'm keen to start flying again - what is the microlight scene like in France (esp Mayenne, if you know)? I'd have to renew my licence, should I do that in France or here?

Best wishes, Dave[/quote]

Dave thank you for taking the time to ask the question and the PM you sent to me asking the same question. I did some research and have sent you two emails back in reply. Shame that you didn't even bother to acknowledge receipt of those emails, don't bother asking any more questions.

One for JJ, fuselage nearing completion on my winter project. 1/5 semi-scale, 1855mm wing span, do you recognise it?

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/flaircub.jpg[/IMG]

What with the weather as it is, what else is there to do

If that had been a scale glider I may have had a chance, but I'm not well up on power... Looks a nice job though and a good size to make it nice and stable to learn on. Is it full house or just rudder elevator? As it's scale I would guess full house?

One of the things that I am not keen on with power is that all the power fliers that I know have the smell of the fuel in their cars and I think that my OH would throw all the toys out of the cot if that happened with our new car!!

One thing to remember is that when you are flying and run out of go juice, don't panic, just let it fly and do as little as you need to to bring it in to land. They will all glide, just some better than others... [:D] Every time you move a stick you are introducing more drag and that's the last thing you want if you are trying to land on the field you took off from...

I told you it is infectious [:-))]

Edit :- Nice table too!