Aero Modelling.

Bugsy

Piper Cub Sport

Full house controls. I've modded the engine bay to hide the engine (it will be upside down) and it a 4 stroke Saito, lovely bit of kit and very quiet..

This, as I said, is the winter project, I already have a trainer (a Solo) which I'm learning with, well I will when the weather improves a bit. [:)]

My trainer glides on a deadstick landing, sometimes too well [:)]

Beats gardening................................[Www]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Or even http://futurshox.net/aeroview.php?level=image&id=1999 .....

Nice one mate. Will you have the aileron servos one in each wing? If so you could also use the ailerons as flaperons. Make it a sinch to land slowly!!

What is the span of your's?

[/quote]

The plans show a single, centre-mounted servo, but there is room for one in each wing and as you say flaperons would be neat.

My trainer is 68".

I've spent the day experimenting with aerofoil section aluminium tube to make the wing stays. Now I've been called in for tea [:)].

This was the last powered aircraft that I worked on http://www.xm496.com/ . At Kemble, where she will now stay. I was the elekky on her for 4 years. Sad to see her in such a state. I don't think she will ever fly again without a complete rewire and that's not feasable? I worked on all 13 Britannias at R.A.F. Lyneham from late 61 to late 66. The Whispering Giant as they were known. The first comercial 'fly by wire' aircraft ever with computer controlled Ultra throttles. Comet 2s and 4Cs as well.

Bit big to work on at home though. She would take about all our garden now and just imagine what the neighbours would say if I did an engine run???[:-))]

A bloke tried walking through a prop while I was at Lyneham. It did him no good at all. It was at night and apparently he just didn't see it? But saying that I was doing outside man on a long ground run at night, stood by the nose wheel and all of a sudden I felt a tug at the back of my head. I was walking towards the prop and my headset lead had pulled out of the socket in my head set. Just as well it was a short lead. From then on I SAT down!!! They mezmerise you in the pan lighting.. Thinking on those lines, there was a bloke who walked through a Shackelton prop and lived to tell the tail. Those things are contra-rotating props!!!

That's some company vehicle your daughters boss has!

My favorite, and I think the most beautiful looking, aircraft is the VC10! I was stationed at Brize Norton for 5 years after I returned from 2 1/2 years in Singapore. A wonderful aircraft to both work on and fly in. The only downer was I was also working on the Belslug, sorry, Belfast too!! The worlds largest white elephant! What a heap. that's one in the background.

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/XV109-021.jpg[/IMG]

Back to your model. If your fit servos in the wings you can program them with differential movement. that means that you have more up than down. The idea of that is to cut down adverse yaw where the outside wing in a turn lags behind the inside wing. that's caused because when the aireron goes down it is the same as having a highly undercambered aerofoil. That has a much higher drag coefficient and pulls the wing tip back. To put it simply, it turns like a pig! You can always correct it with the rudder and a lot of people use the rudder coupled to the ailerons, so that when you select right the rudder also goes right a bit. If you use differential the basic difference is that your model will fly much more efficiently. The bad thing about coupling the rudder and ailerons is that when you want just the ailerons, for a roll for instance, the rudder will muck up the manouver. If your tranny won't allow you to do differential you can always do it mechanically just by the placement of the servo arm, but it's more difficult to get it just right.

Perhaps that's not so importaint on a slow power model, but it is when you start getting faster or are flying gliders...

I also worked on the 10's at BZN and used to think that they were great. In a later life I was the team leader on a few VC10 cat 3 repairs and realised that they were not an aircraft that I would want to fly in again!  The C mk 1s may be low hours pretty aircraft but they are suffering many age related problems that the ex-BEA fleet have not had.

Ex BOAC, but I get your point Bob. Where, when and what trade at brize?

The reason for the fatigue is the short hours to landings they have done. They flog the circuit so much and the original 13 (I think) have done that since they were new in 1965!!

Did you know that Boscomb down pinched one of our 10s to do the testing of the RB211? it was the only 3 engined 10 ever to fly and it could fly on that RB211 too. From what I could make out they could not open it right up because the engine mounts would not take the strain. It's a crying shame that Boing killed the 10 because it was ripe for evolving into bigger and better things, much bigger and better too. Still like the Concord if you can't beat it then kill it!!

I was airframes on the line (LSS) in the 80s, Later in life I was on RSS doing all the CAT3 repairs. During the RSS days I had a lot of contact with Dave Nadin, the VC10 design engineer at BAe. One of the life savers for the 10 would have been to re engine it, but the design of the spectacle frame at the back would have meant almost redesigning the aircraft. The cracking main spars in the wings may have been down to the frequent rollers, but the Redux bonding within the fuselage was a time problem, as Redux only had a design life of something like 20 years and the aircraft were well over that.

The yanks may have killed the 10 with the spam cans, but the 10 was designed for the US market, that is why it used Skydrol hydraulic fluid instead of the mineral fluid that all other military aircraft used. Skydrol is a pain in that it is highly toxic and overheats, but it does not burn as the Americans required,

I knew about the Boscombe aircraft, but the one engine bent the airframe in end as far as I remember. The last aircraft at Abingdon was a VC10 with main spar problems, I was the team leader on that, and Abingdon had to be kept open for flying till we had completed the repair. We found so many sloppy build areas that it took much longer than at first thought.

Something that has 737 or 747 on the end of the name. Gary, the Americans have historically been trying to stifle the British aircraft industry for the last 60 years. When you have been in aviation for a while it is one of the things that is accepted.

In the 60s, Britain had an aircraft called the TSR2, which was 20 years ahead of its time, the US with the help of the labour government of the day managed to have all the pre production aircraft and the build jigs destroyed. The same happened to a Canadian designed aircraft a few years earlier than that. Many aircraft workers still talk about these things to this day.

When you think about the Airbus A380 that flew from Toulouse a short while ago, where did all the negative publicity come from? The US.

As an aside, much of the TSR2 technology was used in the Tornado, an aircraft that I spent my last few working years looking after.

2 TSR 2s were built and Boscombe Down managed to drop the fuz of one from a queen mary when it was delivered there. Did enough to stop it too, write off!! The other one flew well, good old Labour and the bloke who knighted his raincoat maker, Wilson [+o(][+o(]?? It would have been a world beater.

The killing started with the Comet 1. By the way Bob the Comet 2 used veggie oil.. One was written off when a rigger topped it up with OX38!! Good game, good game[+o(]! Since then they have killed every good aircraft we designed, including Concord!

I have some photos of the Concord 2 model at the Bristol Aircraft Collection Kemble. I will find them and post a couple. Fantastic looking aircraft...

BB to get back on track. Did you know that some knutter actually made a model Concord as a glider, a PSS Power Sloap Soarer. It flew really well if the wind was good a strong with good lift. Must have been a swine to land though?

Too cold for flying??? Where the hell are yer thermals? One of the SCSA's best competitions is the Boxing Day Pylon Race. Normally sub zero on the edge of a blowey slope. Great stuff!!! Trying to land a glider on the edge of a snowey slope can be exciting when it just scates back off the slope and back into the air again. Some of the best flying is to be had in the expreme cold. Yer just nesh BB!!![:-))][8-|]

No i hadn't seen that site. it seems a little confused and that is something that i have found with a lot of French sites. Have you seen this one http://www.inwoodmodels.co.uk/system/index.html . Really good and helpful and they ship to France too. I have had a fair amount of kit from them. At the moment I'm waiting for them to tell me they have the 2.4 gig transmit module and 7 channel receivers that I am after. It seems to be taking a long time!!

Too cold indeed! Modern day fliers, what are they like???[Www][:D][:P]

• 1 month later...