I think I already know the answer to this one

mint

Is there any possibility if, par hasard, par tout hasard (as the French would say) I could watch the tennis from Flushing Meadow FOR FREE on TV?

Even if the matches are not live and not in real time?

Just clutching at straws, I know, because if the action is in that Bastion of Capitalism, New York, I guess there's not much chance that it would be broadcast as a public service and for tennis fans instead of for profit, is there?

It's on Eurosport 1 and 2.

Time for a quick subscribe to Canal Sat, or a request for recommendations to streaming sites on your PC !

Sometimes folk say that Eurosport (German) is available Free To Air somewhere..... but I don't know where that is.

Sorry, I hope you find a solution !

@+

Andrew 44

Thanks, Andrew.  I guess it'll be like in other years where I just follow the live scores on the official site and sort of imagine what the shots will look like from the description[blink]

Not really worth any subscription as I am not mad keen on watching other sports so it would be like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

At the start of every football season I go through the same routine, looking for "reasonable" subscriptions to satellite or online services to receive just the Premier League matches. Every year it's the same, too expensive at around 39€ because I also have to take additional channels that I don't want. I already have the free French TNT channels for news etc. So, every year I settle for streaming feeds, of which there are plenty, although the quality leaves a lot to be desired on our 2mega broadband service. If only the "powers that be" would wake up to the fact that there is a market out there for people to pay for specific channels! One of my French friends lives in the local old people's home and he gets BEIN for 12€ pm and tells me he watches PL games (I'd be happy with that, so long as I didn't have to live in the home!) but it's part of some special deal with the home itself.

So, Mint, just Google for "live streaming tennis" and see what you get. Not that I could ever condone doing something so illegal !!

This year I was able to watch the Tour de France online because one of the French TV stations (francetvsport.fr) supplied a free feed, which was excellent, and showed all of the marvellous helicopter shots and fast descents which are normally cut from the ITV4 coverage.

We live in hope.

Thank you, Sid, for your long and informed reply.

After what andrew 44 said, I did look around for live streaming tennis.  I even signed up to one site that I thought would provide the live tennis streaming to see what was involved.

Imagine my disappointment when all they actually offered were lots and lots of movies.  You know what, I wasn't even remotely interested in movies when one of the grand slams are on.

I thought a bit but I even gave my credit card details.  That was last night and now I have cancelled my sub.

As you say, we live in hope...

I, too, would be happy to pay for watching the US open but not pay for lots of other sports programmes that I don't want to or won't be watching.

So, anyone out there want to give me their password to watch some live tennis, I promise I won't hold it against you that you are aiding and abetting me in white-collar, couch-potato crime.

Mint, the free streaming sites are exactly that, FREE. You mustn't give your details and definitely not give your credit card details to anyone who you don't know is legit. You don't need to sign up either. Most of these sites that I refer to are merely lists of links to the free streams for that day, and they change often. There is always lots of advertising and most of the annoying little windows partially obscure the live picture underneath. You have to be patient and work your way through finding the almost hidden little "x"s to close each advert or notice. Often they tell you that your video player is out of date, or your Java is out of date, but you don't need to click on their "update now", you'll just get more advertising.  I guess I've got adept at it now after several seasons of this. Tread carefully, I'm sorry I mentioned it now.

Pat, we don't have Sky Sports or any paying channel.

Sid, don't be sorry, I am going to trawl carefully and, TBH, any picture, however small and blurred would be better than no picture at all.

Would have liked to have seen the Murray/Kyrios match but definitely with the mute button carefully positioned on volume control.

Tread carefully, Mint!

This looks interesting: http://tinyurl.com/nr42h9v

Eurosport offering 1 month's access to their video coverage for 1 month at 5,99€ on a 12 month contract or 7,99€ a month at a time. I can't follow it properly but think it's live or up to 3 hours after the start time.  Perhaps other posters have some experience of this?

I've no idea what speed your broadband would need to be, often these things (like Netflix) work from 2mega upwards but I'm open to correction.