Lily beetles

Val_Douest

We have a large patch of lilies (the big white ones - arum?) which seemed very healthy until about a month ago when they developed large brown areas which became slimy and rotten. On closer examination the plants were fairly well covered with small beetles (bright scarlet with black markings). I sprayed everything with a pesticide and took all the rotten bits off - the lilies are recovering though they look very battered and I don't think we will have many flowers this year. I can't see any more beetles on the plants but there are thousands elsewhere in the garden, [particularly on the virginia creeper). Does anyone know if these are in fact lily beetles, and if so should I be planning mass murder all over the garden? I hate to kill anything unnecessarily - a neighbour suggested the damage might be from frost and we did have some cold nights around that time (65) but nothing else seems to have been affected in the same way.

Any advice/suggestions welcomed!

Val

No; lily beetles are bright red (and appearing now here in 24) and their larvae are black and always covered in a mass of their own excrement. I find derris perfectly effective. Here they affect chives and the allium tribe as well as lilies.