Bamboo

Floydmike

We have a large and rapidly expanding clump of some form of giant bamboo. Does anybody have any ideas short of Napalm or tacticle neucs? If I could find a way to kill it, without killing the other plants it is trying to swamp, I would consider concreting over the remains to use it as the base for a terrace.

Hi
Sorry to hear of your problems with the bamboo and hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we too have been waging war on bamboo for the last three years! I hat it - I cringe when people talk about wanting to put bamboo into their gardens! What you have to realise is, that it is intelligent and EVIL! You can stop its progress if you are constantly vigilant and douse it with the strongest weedkiller you can find - we asked in the bricolage and were told which to buy - as I am in England at this moment and the weedkiller is in France I cannot tell you exactly which it is! but it is a Bayer brand and it is for killing bushes and saplings.
We started to do this and were getting results, in that it killed the new shoots, but when we returned 2 months later it had taken its revenge by coming up between the paving on the patio (which is laid on concrete)and the shoots were a good half metre high!
Our neighbour has cut back all the invasive stems in the garden and tries to keep on top of it, but we cannot see how we are ever going to get rid of the woody rhizomes. Bamboo, as you will know, does not only shoot upwards, but also sideways, just under the surface of the soil, this turns into solid, hard wood and is impossible to dig out.
I'm sorry that I can't give you a good solution, but thought that I may as well share our experiences so that you don't waste time and go for jugular immediately! I have considered a flame thrower - but there are too many trees around!
Bon chance! Carole

Ours might be the reverse problem. We have a pool which at present is open to the road. I am loathe to put up larch lap fence, and have considered bamboo which apparently is fast growing. We need privacy - but fast!!!! Any suggestions peeps?????