I'm new to this!

Lindylou

Hi,
can anyone offer advice, as I'm new to veggie gardening, I would like to know about potatoes. I have some main crop!, can they still go in over the the next 2-3 weeks, as we are moving in a bit at a time and to dig a patch over is not very high on my list of priorities. I presume earlies are just that, and main crop are mid way, right or wrong, any idea please.
Lindylou.

We're still waiting for our motoculteur to arrive so we can dig over the (2nd, enormous) veggie patch - the seed potatoes have been sprouting in the upstairs bedroom for weeks - they'll be very late in but there should still be a good crop from them. I planted the earlies about 3 weeks ago and they're on their second 'earthing up'. I'm not one to follow the 'rules' - I've always found that you'll get at least something whatever you do and whenever! You could try growing a few in large pots if you have any - just plant them low down and gradually add more soil.
Earlies are 'new' potatoes and maincrop are 'old'
Hope that helps - Gill

Here in 24 there's still plenty of time to plant potatoes.
Earlies mature earlier but keep less well than maincrop potatoes. In general they produce less but there is a lot of variation, it's not a hard and fast rule.