3 Old But Good Tips

Danny

(1) A cheap spray solution for killing green and white fly on Roses is to use washing up liquid and water, (even the water used for cleaning the dishes, just spray onto the roses (cool water never hot) it wont last as long as the insect liquids made for the job but it,s cheap and if used a few times aweek will do the job.

(2) Slug killer, use an old saucer or 2 inch deep lid and fill it with beer, (Its cheap enough in France) the Slugs will smell the beer and end up drowning, but a happy way to die and by not using the wrong slug pellets this method will not kill the birds should the bird decide to eat the dead slug.

(3) Put your cut flowers in a vase ect filled with white lemonade, the flowers will last much longer and only put Daffs in a vase on there own, as no other flowers will last very long in the same container due to a chemicle the Daffs contains that forces other flowers to wilt quickly.

I am pretty sure that No 1 is illegal in the EEC never having been run through the testing procedure required for all insecticides (I joke not!). We use nettle water, equally illegal

No 2 is fine but make sure that you set the trap up so that black ground beetles do not get caught - they are voracious eaters of all things nasty and I also understand that in France they eat the dreaded Vine Weevil. I prefer a half orange with the flesh removed, pop it near your plants with the pith downwards, go back in the day and you will find the little terrors hiding underneath.

A rolled up bit of cardboard put near plants whose leaves look like they are being eaten by Vine weevils will lure the little whatsits into sleeping the day away inside in the shelter. Just put it onto the floor and stand on it hard, rather rewarding in my view.

I want to know an organic method of killing the thousands and thousands of pis-en-lit we have in our veggie patch - it looks like roundup time, but it is with gritted teeth.

Di
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk