Chard

Franglais24

Hi,

Our home came complete with the remnants of a pretty good veggie garden. My current concern is the Chard. It's the basic green one with white stalks, and it's started to seed. I've tried propogating it, chopping a plantlet of the edge complete with a bit of root (like you would a yukka) but without success. (Stop laughing at the back!) Should I be collecting the seed perhaps. And when would I sow it?

The leaves have become a little bitter. Is it ok to continue eating them, and is freezing some recommended?

And does anyone have any favourite Chard recepies? It grows so prolifically! Oh, and can the white stalks be eaten raw?

Thanks,
F24

You can sow the seed throughout the spring (from say April) and until around August. The late sowing will stand through the winter if the ground is not too rich.
I can't see it's worth eating if it's running to seed, as you say it is bitter, but I don't think it would do you any harm; it has a fairly high oxalic acid content so like rhubarb, spinach and the like should in any case be eaten in moderation.
Poultry love it.