Hedging plants

Candc

Around us, in 17, most garden centres and larger supermarkets seem to have them in at this time of year. We have just bought 80 1 metre tall Laurier @ €2.30, in pots, from Carrefour. They have been planted for about two weeks now and are doing fine. 

Chas

Hi

Yes I think the larger supermarkets are best for this.  Last November Auchan had a special offer on hedging plants. We needed to add to an existing thuja hedge and bought ours for 1 euro 60 each.  Keep a look out in the advertising sheets which come through the door for these special offers

CaroleS (16)

Box (buis) is a favourite border plant in France and UK. The true border variety is buxus sempervirens suffruticosa which may be too small for you as it is a dwarf variety growing to 40-50 cms.. Rustica reckon you can buy about 50 plants for a border of 2.5 metres for 35-40 euro. Or if you can wait until next year save money by buying a few bigger plants and taking cuttings now. Pat.

A bit later in the year (at the traditional hedge planting time) we always get catalogues from the local shops offering colections of hedging plants. I've never had occasion to buy any but I know a lot of people do. You normally need to order and then collect from the shop. Leave it a few weeks and I am sure you will find something suitable in your mail box.

Liz (29)

Carol, now I know where you are, thought you might like to know there is a huge pepiniere near Corme Royale. Its on the main road between Saintes and Isle D'oleron, about a mile past the exit for Corme itself. They may well have bare rooted shrubs - they seem to have everything else. There is a smaller centre just before it, but thats not the one I mean.

I havn't seen bare rooted shrubs in supermarkets though, although I agree they seem to settle better. There a very big Jardiland at Saintes which had good selection of hedging plants, this time last year, and also a good big garden centre next to Auchan in Cognac, which would be a bit of a trek for you I know. There, the more plants you buy, the cheaper they get.

tresco