moving plants to France

hoverfrog

there are a lot of plants in the garden I would like to take with us when we move to Fance:-

the bay tree that Dad gave me as a cutting, now 6'+;

the rosemary I was given when he died;

the handkerchief tree I bought with my middle daughter a couple of years ago;

the hellebores my aunt gave me as cuttings before she died;

cuttings of all the fuschias and chrysanths that came from my father before he died;

seeds from a lot of plants that have meaning (I don't think seeds are prohibited by customs anyway)

What is the best way to transport this sort of thing to France?

Will I be able to keep plants going in the barn or elsewhere before planting them out in France?

I apreciate that a lot will depend on the area (we're moving to Limousin, probably in January) but are there any tips that others can pass on having moved large plants over? Were customs at all interested?

I've just sold my greenhouse over here on ebay - with misgivings, as the only ones I've seen in France have been in the graveyard, but we can't take everything, can we?!!

Any hints / tips appreciated,

Mary

Hi Mary

I cannot say if this is the right or wrong way, legal or illegal, but..

Having help some friends recently move to France who did not like the idea of leaving behind plants that they cherished from seedlings and cuttings, loaded up a volvo estate and trailer with as much green stuff as you could possibly get into it, plus a tree strapped to the roof, sailed through customs both ends with even an eyebrow being raised. They are now happily living in a variety of pots whilst they have some landscaping done.

Although the chap on Eurotunnel did have trouble surpressing his laughter!

Best thing is to check to see if any of the plants you want to take are prohibited in France, especially in the area you are moving to. If you are moving in January I'd get them into pots now before it gets too cold and they all go dormant for the winter.

I'll be moving next year to France with a truck load of plants, all specimen conifers which I've grown from tiny plants plus some olive trees, Acers, fuschias etc! They are all in pots and some are rather large.  I checked with customs and they said as long as they were a personel export there was no problem.

Hope this helps

greg

As greg says, customs should not be interested if the plants are for own property, certainly not in the plants you mention.

It's the right time of the year to dig the plants up and get them into pots. I know some people, experts in fact, might say shake the soil off and replace with lightly moistened compost, then cover with bark chippings, but with a Bay of this size I would try to keep as much of the soil around the root ball of the trees as possible, to save damage to the roots, and prune it. Don't underestimate the weight of the soil for when you bring them over if you do this.

They should all be fine till Spring, as long as they don't dry out completely, and a barn with a bit of light, or even a sheltered corner near a wall should be ok, if you wrap the pots in horticultural fleece. I think it can get very cold in Limousin?

The expeption is the hellebores, which apparently hate being transplanted at any time, and can take as long as 3 years to re establish. Don't lose heart though, they say that about Peaonies, and mine flourished and flowered in the first year. To bring it I dug it up with tons of soil around it.

I was  brought quite a few plants which had sentimental value, as you wish to do. I know I could have replaced them here but i'm glad I didn't. I stil regret leaving my Rosa 'Kiftsgate Phillipes' which was a fairly recent gift from dear friends. By the way, don't forget to tell your house purchasers, if appropriate, that you are taking these items.

many thanks for the replies - looks like I will be busy potting up this week-end!

I just hope it doesn't get too cold here as I've just sold the greenhouse

Talking of greenhouses, the only ones I've seen in france were in the graveyard...I hope that I will be able to get another one over there at some point or I will have to get a polytunnel

Oh, glad you are here hoverfrog, because I wanted to say something about greenhouses. Thing is, you hardly see any here, but I am at present doing the female whiley business to get one.

I just want to say that I really miss my lovely greenhouse. It was as good as Alan Titchmarsh's, anyday, and though France is lovely, it does have its seasons, and, in some of them, you want to be out of the rain, doing your plant related things.  Rant over, good luck with your plants, hoverfrog

[quote]many thanks for the replies - looks like I will be busy potting up this week-end!I just hope it doesn't get too cold here as I've just sold the greenhouse Talking of greenhouses, the only ones I've s...[/quote]

Greenhouses are very rare indeed although they do exist. The reason give in this area is that it is too windy. The only person I know that has one brought it from England so it might be of benefit to cut down on the plants, which are available in France, and make room for a greenhouse in your luggage

A friend of mine has a cold frame and these are fairly common, particularly to bring on early veg, so depending on what you want to do you might consider one of these instead.

Liz (29)

Hi

I too was very disappointed to leave my greenhouse behind.  However in the spring my hubby noticed an advert in Weldom's for a greenhouse equiv 10ft x 8ft at half price  about £250.  He went to the store in Angoulême and was told they were sold out but did not give up and at Sauzé Vaussais they found one out the back for him.  Eventually they found all the necessary bits and I was delighted and guess what IT WAS MADE IN KENT.  It has caused a talking point in our village as it is the only greenhouse!

Good luck

CaroleS (16)

I'm getting the feeling that having a greenhouse is perhaps an English thing to do, however the french must have their way of seeing plants through the winter and bringing on plants in the spring. Maybe it's just a question of altering my viewpoint and attempting the french way of doing things!

As it has often been said in my family (for completely the wrong reasons, you really don't want to know!) "en fait ce qu'en peut avec ce qu'en as"!!

(sp? my speech is better than my writing!!)