Feeding Lawns

Dave

If you are getting any frosts I would say it is too late this year but not too late to get on with the hard graft of preparing the ground . You will need to clear as many of the stones as you can, any perennial weeds and the moss. Dig over now and leave in large lumps, frosts will help break these down over the winter, and you can then go for the fine tilth required for seed sowing in Spring. If you have moss it sounds as if the drainage may not be all it should be and if you do not improve the soil before sowing seed it will only recur.

If you sow in Spring you will probably have to organise some kind of watering for the Spring and Summer if it is dry. Last time I was in that area it was decidedly damp - perfect for grass at least!

Liz (29)

ps I've just re-read your original post and see you were talking about feeding lawns, rather than starting from scratch which was my impression from your second one. Anyway, too late to feed as well, I reckon. If you want to keep the existing 'grass' the only thing I can suggest you do at this time of the year is to try to improve the drainage, stab the soil with a fork and rake in coarse sand, or hire a machine if it is a large area.

Lawns. A battle or what?

We're SW so get lots of heat in the summer, quite a lot of rain in Spring and the occasional frost in Winter. We feed as and when required up to November. At the moment it's a good time to pull out the dead couch grass - number one enemy. Then aerate and treat affected areas with a mix of seed and sand. Cover with fine mesh fencing and keep bird tables full.

And check out your local golf club. They have some impressive machines that pull out plugs of soil. It looks like WW3 at first but when you fill these with the seed and sand it miraculously transforms.

And you can deal with dandelions and other broad leaves with spray.