Bird strikes

Jackie

Following advice we have hung silhouettes of birds of prey in front of our large véranda windows and still have to pick up corpses too frequently.

It would seem that the birds, some quite large and it is surprising that a window has not yet broken, see reflections of greenery and sky and try to fly through. I think that we have caused the death of almost as many as the little sods next door with their air guns. Two thrushes this morning, so what other technique could we use to prevent these deaths and yet still be able to see out?................John and Marie

Our friends have found hanging CD's from twine in front of the windows works for them - no more dead birds as they don't like the look of them blowing in the wind. We find our insect netting serves the same purpose.

Tried hanging CDs on the cherry tree to keep the birds off the cherries and it sort of works but I noted that the "little sods next door" were also using them for target practice. I did not mind too much as I felt that it was better they shot at the CDs rather than the birds! However I would not be too keen on them firing at them when hanging in front of a large, expensive glass window so I will think a bit more about that! Thanks for the responses folks................John not Jackie