Shallots

Jackie

Having grown shallots for the first time in our potager and having looked at lots of sites giving advice about harvesting, storing and drying etc, I note that the one piece of information missing is the time that must pass between the harvesting and the using of them. We have placed the shallots out in the sun for the last seven days and the tops have mostly gone brown so does this mean we can use them or do they need to mature a bit first. I guess you could ask the same question about onions.......................John and Jackie   

[quote]Having grown shallots for the first time in our potager and having looked at lots of sites giving advice about harvesting, storing and drying etc, I note that the one piece of information missing is t...[/quote]

If the outer skins have gone brown and are all dessicated your shallots are ready to eat.

Try some finely chopped in a tomato salad with a swig of olive oil and tarragon vinegar (big twig of tarragon pushed inside that bottle of vinegar you just bought), dusting of salt and pepper.

You will cry! for they are so strong but oohh dear! they taste sublime!

Also lots and lots finely chopped and crisply fried in some good ol' gravy made with Bisto and the juice of the best beef (Free range, well hang, Welsh Black/Aberdeen Angus/Limousin/Hereford in my opinion) that you can afford!

None of the tough genetically overbred super/hyper market stuff! ...

Only thing about shallots (and all onions/garlic type food..) they may contribute to your having to pay a tax on your green-house-effect gases emissions!

Lots of fresh spear/peppermint finely chopped over strawberries (or other fruits) in some yogurt that helps offset the tax!

Only thing about shallots (and all onions/garlic type food..) they may contribute to your having to pay a tax on your green-house-effect gases emissions!

Lots of fresh spear/peppermint finely chopped over strawberries (or other fruits) in some yogurt that helps offset the tax!

Now that's what I call a handy tip!

[quote]Only thing about shallots (and all onions/garlic type food..) they may contribute to your having to pay a tax on your green-house-effect gases emissions! Lots of fresh spear/peppermint finely chopped...[/quote]

It's the mint that does the job. 

Chopped mint on strawberries with a dusting of caster sugar is my last dish on this earth!!

My Gran used to put a bunch of mint in the haricots bean dish (the cassoulet type thing) and she cooked the meat stuff separately. Never embarrassed myself after eating a jolly helping of mojettes! (haricots beans in Poitou/Vendée)

Another thing good against the gases is ginger either in tea or grated with other spices in a stew (almost resembling a curry)

or a glass of Ricard/51/Pernod with COLD water ! before your lunch.. My father swears by it!