what to do ...

Lori

We have a separate fenced garden for our dog - for when we have guests coming and going, workers coming and going, etc.  It is approximately 350 m2.  The problem is that it does not have proper grass (has weeds, etc.) and with the very dry summers we have here, our dog has had the hard/sharp dried grasslike tips enter his skin and lodge inside.  This has caused serious problems (one abscessed another was found in time to have removed prior to infection).  Our dog is a collie and therefore has a thick coat making it very difficult to see these things.  Although now we have his under-belly shaved (for easy viewing) and thoroughly inspect/brush him every single day - sometimes twice a day.

According to our Vet, the dried grass problem is very prevalent here.  He sees pets every day with the same problem.

So, we would like to do something to his garden area to protect him.  As it appears that every summer brings the same drought, water restricted problems, we don't want him to have to go through this every year.

We have considered just outdoor tiling his entire area, but that seems a bit excessive.  I thought perhaps we could lay outdoor tiling over half of the area and till the rest to plant proper grass.  Are there any other ideas out there??

Anything would be considered. 

Just a thought - what about that scourge of the British garden a la Alan Titchmarsh:- decking? 

Smooth  or ribbed for 'grip' with the paws, will drain if narrow gaps left between the boards, scrubbable and if raised slightly on stretchers with weed fleece or a thick layer of gravel underneath should eradicate the grass problem. Choice of wood your own and it can be made to the measurements and shape. of your dog's run very easily. Could even give him a raised low platform made from box shapes that could be moved around as you wished and to give him interest.

It is a large area so perhaps deck part of it and use exterior paving for the rest.

Would pea shingle be too hard on a dog's paws? Not gravel which is sharp and chunky and often used for driveways here, but the smooth tiny stones which seem to bond together when walked on.

Chocolate:  The wood decking idea sounds interesting, but expensive to me.  Not sure.  And, we get all four seasons here and you are right, it is rather a large area when considering things like decking.  I would imagine that the weather would take its toll on exterior wood, making maintenance a constant issue.  I was trying to do something maybe a little simpler than that.

The pebble idea is a good one.  Our driveway/entrance has the pale yellow gravel you spoke of.  It is not that expensive either.  I suppose that would be a good option.  As for the smaller rounded pebble, I would have to check it out from the carriere here.  Good idea, thanks !