old wife tale or true????

Guest CFrost

Guest CFrost

Hi everyone, looking for some more advice from all you gardeners out there.  I heard some time ago now that you can use your 'washing up' water on plants etc in the garden.  I was told it killed greenfly etc.  My question is this...is it true and can you use the washing up/laundry/bath water on flowers, trees and veggie plots??  Just looking for ways to reuse the water during the long hot summers 

Many thanks in anticipation of what could be some interesting answers

kimberley

chadeniers 17

Doring the summer, I dumped washing-up water, and shower water (our only shower is still the one in the caravan ), onto various plants from honeysuckle to buddleia to Mock Orange, and all took to it nicely, thanks.

I've often used a handsprayer with washing up liquid in water to kill a greenfly epidemic when I've no "proper" spray, it works and the plants suffer no harm. However, the greenfly come back the next day as it's not systemic.

Alcazar

Remember summer 1976 (lived in Suzzex the) - lots of sun - no water - we used bath water - washing up water etc to keep veg flowers and lawn in good nick - had some interest from the water board but most neighbours were doing the same thing - did not kill anything.

James

I think what harms the plants is when you get more ambitious and attempt to use water from washing machines or dishwashers, I'm pretty sure that dishwasher water wouldn't be good.

BTW Someone told me that a making a very strong infusion of tea and spraying that on the plants kills certain bugs.

When we were living in Westcliff the local water board was promoting an offer of free water butt and syphoning connection to recycle waste water.It was a good idea but the source of water needed to be quite high up. Here in France we syphon off the waste wate from the bathroom and used it to water veg. and plants during hot dry summers. No problems at all. Pat.

Guest CFrost

Thanks everyone, advice much appreciated.  Will look at ways to syphon water from our shower/wash waste. Thanks again

Kimberley

chadeniers 17

greenfly and other small nastys are killed by using a SMALL amout of washing up liquid mixed with water and sprayed onto infected plants it messes with there breathing and kills them but does not harm ladybirds etc   Or so it says on the American plant forum that I read  

I mixed up several recipes together including the washing up liquid a small amount of veg oil that crushed and boiled garlic cloves had been soaked in overnight and can confirm that it wiped out all my nastys this year except for colarado beetles which I hand picked off   I believe that this recipe is counted on as being organic