Turf

Bannon

• 2 weeks later...

I would have said no to this question.  I have never seen it in our area, but, this has been asked before and I know someone said that you can get it and also that it was a firm near Paris that supplied Wimbledon.  So I think the answer probably is that it is available commercially but most unlikely to be found for the amateur gardener.  Have you tried www.pagesjaunes.fr  and 'gazon'?

Liz (29)

[quote]It's called gazon en plaque and it's available at several garden centres local to me (66) but I'm sure it's widely available in the rest of France. Steve[/quote]

Like Liz I have never seen it being cut or for sale in the Lot, Tarn or Aveyron, that is not to say it does not exist, but I cannot see much of a demand for it.  They use seed round here as the conditions are so good for growing grass from seed.

It would have helped if bannon had said where he was, mind you isn't a bit late in the year to use turf?

I get the Rustica gardening magazine and there was an article in there last week on laying turf.It's supposed to be a good time, in the south anyway, as the earth is still warm and there's quite a lot of rain. But there was no info on where to buy it.Try looking on Google. Pat.

We decided to turf the lawn in front of our gite, as it was a new build and the builders were only proposing seeding it, which would have left our first guests looking out on a patch of mud! Our builder said that no-one used turf for houses and didn't know of a supplier, so i got searching on the internet and found a commercial supplier about an hour away from our house.  I contacted them, and they said that it  was no problem to supply to private individuals although most of their trade was football pitch size quantities.  All I needed to do was send a email order, they then emailed back a quote and I confirmed delivery by phone. The turf was (and still is) fantastic quality and you can really see the difference between it and the area which was seeded and is now mainly clover!  The cost was comparable with the UK, although the transport was expensive as this company didn't have a contact with a small haulage firm, so out 4 pallets of turf arrived on an articulated lorry! I wish we'd turfed more of the garden as the seeded areas need much more maintenance to get rid of weeds & clover, although laying the turf nearly killed me as they were supplied in metric quantities which were much bigger and heavier than our imperial one in the UK! I was so stiff the next morning I could barely get out of bed to go and finish of the work.

I suggest you look up "gazon" or "Mottes de gazon" on a good search engine (I used Google) and see if anything comes up near you.  It took about half an hour of searching, but was well worth the effort.

Marie