B****y Rabbits

sueyh

Has anyone any idea of how to stop rabbits eating my precious shrubs - arrived at the house for New Year to discover my 2ft Bay Tree was now a stump with no leaves, my climbing jasmine no longer has stems to climb (now 10 cm high) and my Cotinus is totally leafless!

Is it just a shotgun job!!!

Suey

[6]

Thank you both for the replies.  It does seem strange that they are leaving the honeysuckle, pyracantha, pulmonaria, buddleia (is that how you spell it?).  It is just such a pain having nurtured the bay for two years in the front of my house then move it to the back and the blighters got it.

Thanks again.

Suey

ps good joke Thumper

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry Thumper but your relatives are at it.  We ahve planted some new, not cheap, trees and find the bark is being stripped off.  All the signs are rabbits, namely the droppings around them and seeing them.  My two oportunities of dealing with them are useless.  My Black Labrador who loves chasing your relatives goes the wrong way when I turn the torch on and unfortunately I have an air rfifle rather than a shotgin so they are well out of site before I get the sight to my eye

I presume Stocky that you have already put some chicken wire or some other form of protection round the "trunks" of you new and existing trees to stop any further damage.

This link may be of interest from the RHS as it lists plants and trees that are less susceptible to rabbit damage:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1101/rabbitslist.asp  

Chris