Pruning Apple Tree

Deimos

I have an apple tree Whose lower branches are very close to the ground. Whilst cutting the off will lower the “yield”, they make it very difficult to cut the grass (weeds) under it.

Is it OK to cut ff the lower branches and if so when is the best time. Any rules/techniques, etc. that should be followed ?

Many thanks

Ian

Ian

Look at the next thread down, it applies to apple trees as well.

If these branches are growing from the trunk below the main spread, cut them off in february close to the trunk, if they are side shoots growing down from "main" branches, cut them off, but if they are long branches hanging down wait until you know if they are they are tip fruiting trees or you could be cutting off your fruit bearing buds 

I’m not sure my tree will “love me for it” as it currently looks like a wine glass with a broken stem (i.e. just the bit that holds the wine. Major branches go out horizontally about a foot above the ground. They are a real nuisance when cutting the grass. It gives quite a few apples already so I will cut as advised (though maybe part this year, part next year).

Many thanks

Ian

• 1 month later...