Selling our house in France

Julius

We are selling our house in France to three purchasers from UK. One of them received the letter about 7 days cooling off. The receipt for this has been lost by the French post office , the Notaire says we cannot complete the sale without this and says the French Post office cannot confirm the situation until 30 April ! The purchaser has been asked to send a hand written letter saying she has received the letter, but still the French Post office is required to carry out its investigation. Surely there has to be way around this nightmare.

I've never known one of those paperslips to come back and it's usually lost in the English postal system ... they don't know what to do with the slip of paper and it's not stamped for return French mail. I can't offer advice on how to trace it, or the procedure, but you must tell the notaire to send future things that need to be signed for by DHL or similar, so that there is an internationally traceable record. I'm afraid that those 'lettre recommandee' slips they use in France just don't get returned from the UK (in my experience) and it's fruitless trying to trace them.

[quote user="nectarine"]I've never known one of those paperslips to come back and it's usually lost in the English postal system ... they don't know what to do with the slip of paper and it's not stamped for return French mail. I can't offer advice on how to trace it, or the procedure, but you must tell the notaire to send future things that need to be signed for by DHL or similar, so that there is an internationally traceable record. I'm afraid that those 'lettre recommandee' slips they use in France just don't get returned from the UK (in my experience) and it's fruitless trying to trace them.[/quote]

Nectarine, as far as I know, registered letters from France are untraceable once they leave these shores and, equally, registered letters from the UK to France are also untraceable once they leave the UK.

mint you have it exactly.

As far as I am concerned it is dishonest of the postal services in both countries to 'sell' this service which I have yet to see them honour. When I sent a signed for registered letter to the impots in France, I heard nothing more and the Post Office could only tell me that it had left the UK.... and that was it and even suggested in spite of me paying for this service that I should not expect more than I had.

I ended up sending this declaration des impots in the normal post clearly marked that it was a copy, in case they had not received the original. Everything went through OK to my relief.

I am sorry for the OP. It will get sorted you know, these things do, eventually.

In the recent past I have sent parcels via one of the cheap companies who use UPS and the parcels have taken less than 48 hours and I have been advised of delivery, AND I paid less for these 15kgs parcels than I did for one letter I sent to the impots.