Japanese you know what weed.

Just Katie

[blink]  I have noticed JKW growing in the field next door about one football pitch in length away from my boundary.  The owner told me the council have not kept an appointment with him to meet him there and that he is using Frond to try to eradicate the problem. (I have been told this will not work)

Now, I know that the disposal of this stuff should be treated as contaminated waste and am appalled with the council.  And am looking into taking it further. 

What I want to know is what can be done to slow it down in the meantime until it is dealt with efficiently.

Have a plod through this

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/544920/ShowPost.aspx

I remember reading that it shouldn't be pulled up or chopped up as it can regenerate itself very easily, so I would have thought strong weed killer would be your best option and get rid of the plant when its definitely definitely dead - but I'd wait for some advice from the gardening experts on here.

Thanks for that Beryl.  I looked through it.  There were some doubts to the  havoc this stuff creates.  I went to a property about a year ago with a 20 foot stone retaining wall in the garden.  The wall was over 100 years old and probably  anything up to 2 meters thick in places.  On top of the wall was a garden area covered in JKW and had created an accident waiting to happen in the wall.

I told the homeowner the potential hazards this would create and she hadnt a clue.

I want to know how to retain it until it is seen to.

Actually I just saw a man with a digger over there and was really worried incase he was a dumbwit.  I went over and asked how he was going to dispose of it and we had a long conversation about the stuff. He knew it should be treated as contaminated waste and that he had removed it many times previously (from other sites).  The plants are very young and he did not need to go down as far as three meters.

I am going across later for a nose to see if he has left any.