Rabbits!!!

Just Katie

My garden has just started to take shape and this summer I notice we have been invaded with rabbits.  There are at least 3 families living in the trees around me.  It seems like last month there were lots of babies hopping around and now there is a new batch.

Whenever I step onto my lawn there is about 8 of them scurrying away.  Are they really that much of a nuisance?  I really dont mind them otherwise.

A fox used to visit us last year but we dont see him now.

will I eventually be overrun or will the babies leave the nest and find their own territory?

A rural man sitting very close to me states that you will be over run as rabbits can breed every seven weeks and the new do not move on they just stay very local to their original burrow,and apparently the female rabbit can birth up to 15 at a time, sounds like you may have to introduce some mxy......motosis,,,,,,or get a shotgun or a 2.2 rifle shoot them in the head and sell them at the local market providing the bodies are not damaged, or get yourself some port and make a regular batch of rabbit in port, yum yum.....

we have had a pair of rabbits at the bottom of our garden for 3 years they breed(normally only 2 babies) they grow up and go, we do have 2 cats and 2 dogs so this may be the reason( do they go are are they eaten?) dont know dont want to either. they are no trouble as there is plenty down there to eat. sometimes i have noticed a few lettuce nibbled but they havnt caused to much damage, not enough to make me want to spoil the evening sight of them playing while enjoying my evening glass of wine. like most things in life, leave it alone until it gets up your nose...........[:)]

As this is an open forum which the entire world can view and it was posted under a serious topic heading, it may make more sense either not to joke or at least make it completely clear that it wasn't serious advice.

Sorry, don't want to upset anyone but these things matter.

KKK, I have no idea what the situation is in the UK these days, but I would think that if it is a problem you need to find someone with a shotgun and permit.

Chris

Thank you all, at the moment, I am with Pads.  I really do enjoy them at the moment but now that Mr Fox has gone I am wondering how much of a problem it will be.

Chris, while you are on.  I was once told that if there are rabbits then rats will keep away.  How true is this? 

New one on me Katie, I have both where I live and can't begin to think of any reason for them not co-habiting. Neither of them are predators and should leave each other alone.

Cats are more likely to take young rabbits than foxes.

Chris

On a funny rabbit note----- The prospective buyer of a former house in Brittany, asked about the level of the water-table as he was worried about rising-damp???? I said that even in very heavy downpours we had never had any problems with drainage etc. That evening our French farmer friend called in with a pheasant for us, " As a matter of interest,I've never seen a rabbit around here" say's I. " They can't swim" he replied," the water table here is only down 600mm"" BOOM-BOOM.

Our buyer did buy and funnily enough, only in the story sense, he managed to flood the place out TWICE, while improving the plumbing.

My OH told me once about her pet rabbits: as a child she had two-a  male and a female. One day she'd gone to open up the extended run and found a dead rat in the hutch enclosure. The rat had been attacked by something (at the throat in fact- she found it quite upsetting at the time she said), and the only 'guilty' bunny was the male with a bloodied nose and a bit of fluff missing. OH not happy with the dead rat but she told me her dad sorted out its removal. She never understood why the male rabbit had finished off the rat because there were no baby rabbits involved. She wasn't allowed to lift up and  pet the rabbits on her lap  after that, only pet them on the ground- until they made a bid for freedom and got away- funny black 'wild rabbits' followed on for a few years after apparently in the fields, so at least she was happy that the rabbits were happy in the end.