Something to stop the weeds ????

SueP

Can anyone recommend some plants to put in a large kitchen garden (approx 30' x 15') so I don't have to spend all my holidays weeding?

We have a holiday home in south Vienne (86), which at the moment we visit about 4 times a year. The kitchen garden already has 3 vines in it and a cherry tree which are very productive but were already well established when we bought it. I've tried digging over the soil and covering it when we leave, which cuts down the weeds, but I'd really like to grow something that doesn't require too much /any TLC, and will discourage the weeds even more!

Alternatively, does anyone living in south Vienne want to rent an allotment?

SueP

have you thought about putting a menbrane down and covering with gravel or bark chippings this will rid you of weeds and keep moisture in the ground ? It will be easy to lift off if you want to change this in the future, and you can cut holes in it to plant other things as and when you want to

hope this helps [:)]

All our garden, apart from the lawn, is membrane with a gravel 'mulch'. We plant through it, as and when, and it really does keep the weeds down (just a few around the edges) and the gravel is great at keeping the moisture in.

As you probably want quite a bit of membrane you might be able to get a discount - I did

Thoroughly recommended!

Just that, as I now know Sue, your place is quite close to where I live. It's only about 10 minutes, so if you don't find a solution you could always give me a call when you are going to be here and I could have a look, maybe have some ideas after seeing it.

Only an idea, mail me if it's of interest, Chris