Raspberries - Growing in South West France

Belpech

I'm not exactly sure where you are (the Auvergne? High-ish altitude?).  I grow  raspberries very successfully  in my part of the SW, but the SW is a very diverse region in climate and terrain.  On the basis that Scotland is famous as a raspberry productor then I don't think you will have any problems.

Are raspberries, I wonder, one of those fruits which  require a certain period of low temperature in order to have a successful fruiting the following summer ?

Cetainly strawberries (or at least the decent, old varieties with some taste) are not happy following a very mild winter.

Speaking of which, I've long held the view that - just like there is one huge factory in southern China which makes EVERY electric fan sold anywhere in the world - Elsanta strawberries are actually made of balsa wood, sprayed with red cochineal dye in a large factory in southern Spain. Can anyone confirm this ?

I defy anyone in a blindfold tasting to be able to identify them as strawberries !

paul

i believe you are correct that raspberries certainly prefer a cold period for a good crop.  i had never grown them before coming to france, and technicall speaking havent grown them here so much as 'found' a patch of the, which i mostly inadvertently cut down while slashing at 6 foot high nettles.    Having realised that some of them weren't nettles i left a gap around them to see what they turned out to be.   can't say i have the biggest crop in world (15 raspberries a day on average! - enough to slip in with the ice cream) but they certainly seem to be quite hardy.   i am in limousin area and as everyone knows its been pretty hot, followed by very heavy rain/storms.   I can't see any reason why you wouldnt successfully grow them to be honest, but i am a bit of a novice at gardening so not sure my opinion should be counted on too much!   either way a friend purchased a new raspberry bush for me as a small gift (before i realised what others were) and it was very cheap so i guess you dont have much  to lose to buy one on a trial  basis !

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]
Speaking of which, I've long held the view that - just like there is one huge factory in southern China which makes EVERY electric fan sold anywhere in the world - Elsanta strawberries are actually made of balsa wood, sprayed with red cochineal dye in a large factory in southern Spain. Can anyone confirm this ?

I defy anyone in a blindfold tasting to be able to identify them as strawberries !

paul
[/quote]

Balsa? I thought they were a new, small, red type of turnip![:@]

Alcazar