What is this shrub?

Rob Roy

I bought this young shrub, but can't remember the name of it! I think it needs repotting or planting out now and would like look up some information about it. Can anyone help, please?

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/Bouillaguet/DSCF0960.jpg[/IMG]

It's a Blue potato bush, solanum rantonetii.  Looks a bit like the more commonly seen solanum crispum, potato vine, but it doesn't climb - more a floppy bush.  It is not frost hardy - min. temp. 7°C.  Flowers late summer (UK) followed by red fruit.  Doesn't need pruning but you can give it a light trim in spring to tidy it up.

Thanks for your replies. I didn't realise it wasn't frost hardy so good job you told me Phil! Another one to join the lemon trees and potted hostas in the barn for the winter! I don't suppose it would survive with fleece round it? Mind you we can get -10 to -15 here, so probably not.

Well, you could risk it - depends how attached you are to it and how much space you have.  You could take a backup cutting and keep it in the barn (frost free?).  How do they do for light?

Are the hostas put in to protect their pots from damage, or just to get them out the way when dormant?  The plants themselves are frost hardy.