Branches missing off my trees!!!

f1steveuk

I'm just curious. I am aware that with newer properties, shrubs etc, are supposed to be one metre back from any fence, to allow the owner to keep his own plants under comtrol without affecting their neighbours.

Living in a more rural area, it doesn't really affect me, but we recently noticed that the farmer who uses the field next to our home for producing hay, has removed three large branches from an oak tree of ours, that hung over the fence. He's gained all of 10msq at the most (on a 5 hectre field!!), but I'd rather he'd asked, and as I have a wood burner, I'd have liked the wood back!!!

Has he done something wrong? Would just like to know for future reference!!

If they over grow his field he has the right either to ask you to cut them off or to cut them off himself, but I think that the wood remains yours.

The people round here have not the slightest regard for trees, even when hundreds of years old and will ask for them to be cut back until the are but shadows of their former selves.

Generally framers are generally the worst culprits.

re regard for trees:

Slightly off topic, but I see this almost daily here. Our nearest market town is Masseube 32, and there's a narrow main road going through the town. I guess that every hour or so a huge lorry with 2 trailers piled up with massive tree trunks passes through from north to south. They seem to be Spanish and returning to Spain.

Where they come from I don't know, definitely not the Landes,  but it seems to be a never-ending supply.