Bare rooted fruit trees

Berlioz

Please can someone point me in the direction of mail order or Internet nurseries in France.  I would like to plant a few in our very new garden and also train some dwarf ones in large pots for when we move again.

I am near Toulouse and have seen container planted trees in localy but they seem very expensive compared to what I was paying in Cambridgeshire.  Also is there list of varieties that do well in this area anywhere on the web?

I have bought some hot/dry/french gardening books but they are a bit light on the veg/fruit info!

I live in Normandie and just do not know if apple trees will flourish and flourish well in your area.  There must be other contributors who can comment.  However it does seems that the best apple crops come from areas with less heat such as the Loire Normandie that sort of thing?

However go to Google and look for Eric Dumont just go to his web site look at his stock and yes you are going to pay but it is not just step over espaliers and the like there are trained forms that you will never see elsewhere.

My experience also suggests that you have to be very careful with pot culture but Eric Dumont gives good advice.

The best time to plant any trees in SW France is late Oct. early Nov. You will find loads for sale in your local nurseries aound that time. Nothing much available at the moment. It may be too far for you but there is an excellent nusery just before Mirande, on the right, on the road from Auch. They will give advice on the best types to try. Pat.

Thank you all very much.  I will sit down tonight and have a really good look at what I should plant in the Autumn.  I learned in my last garden that plants are either happy or not!  I suspect I will have to give apples a miss and get good with things that like 35c and occasional torrential rain :-)

Pat I just' Tom Tom'd Mirande and it is an hour and a half from me, I'm just off the road to Auch so may well plan a visit.

Donna