English Village Fairs

Harley

I am looking forward to creating a Cottage Garden next year in the mudpatch which will be left after thay have finished building our new house.  It got me thinking about all the local Fairs that we used to go to in England.  There would always be a stall selling plants very cheaply and it was a great way of getting something new for the garden.  It's not something they seem to go in for here although I may pick up some things at Gavray Fair in October.  Does anyone miss English Fairs?  The ladies who ran the stalls were always full of good advice.  Anyone got any tips for good plants for a cottage garden?  I'm a bit of a novice at this and I'm starting from scratch.  Any advice gratefully received.[:D]

The cottage garden society (http://www.thecgs.org.uk/) have members from both the UK and elsewhere in Europe.  They have an annual seed exchange (though you don't need to donate seed to request them) - I have grown a lot of my garden plants using seeds from this scheme.  I'm not sure if there is an equivalent society in France.  I know a number of the UK plant companies will deliver to France - David Austen Roses (http://www.davidaustinroses.com/) - which I love!, Clare Austen Hardy Plants etc...

Just out of interest - does France have the equivalent of the Yellow Book (NGS)?

Happy gardening

Kathie

>>Anyone got any tips for good plants for a cottage garden?<<<

Hardy Geraniums - I love them, they are usually toughies and depending on the variety can flower through the summer and/or have leaves which which are attractive in autumn.

I have tried pinks for the first time this year and was pleased enough to buy more.

Just started planting violas for the winter, with bulbs underneath.....

Verbena darlyensis (sp ?) tall, purple flowers and airy looking , very fashionable, the insects love it..........

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Verbena darlyensis (sp ?) tall, purple flowers and airy looking , very fashionable, the insects love it..........

[/quote]

Verbena bonariensis - the Buenos Aires verbena.  I agree, cracking plant, associates with everything, self-seeds freely.