Gardening - availability of a particular tree

gjp23

Now I'm not a particular gardening expert (far from it!) but I am very taken with the crataegus persimilis 'Prunifolia', which is a spectatular type of hawthorn tree.  I discovered it in England and checked with my local jardiniere, who is normally very knowledgeable about these things, but he knew nothing of this tree.  So, I have two questions:

1) is this tree able to grow in France (I am in the northern Lot et Garonne)?

2) if so, can anyone suggest a possible source to get one?

Fingers crossed there is a gardening genius out there who can help.

Happy New Year to all.

Hi.

I have one of these, and I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't too, unless the ground is waterlogged. That's the theory, anyway.[:D]

I can't remember where I got it, but it was delivered as part of a bulk buy of trees and hedging plants, from England.

If you look here, there are 26 suppliers listed. If you check through them, look for one with  no 'minimum purchase' clause.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/pfregions.asp?id=89242&session=1aduvjbptesqrv55ryncvm55

Edit. If anyone knows a French equivalent to the RHS Plantfinder I would be so grateful

Please have a look at www.pepinieres-chatelain.com or speak to Aurile on 01 39 88 50 .88 she might bhe able to help is highly knowledgeable and speaks English and is a lovely person. They ship all over France but the only downside is the shipping costs a tiny bit expensive but of course planting trees is good for the environment you and your heirs will have years of pleasure but of course carbon footprints.  One tries ones best.

If they do not grow it she might be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps