Olives

The Forresters

Can anyone tell me how to treat black olives so that they are suitable for eating and cooking (not pressing). I've got a recipe that uses 30% sodium hydroxide, but I can't find anywhere to buy it. Other books talk about soaking in brine, but give no details of quantities of salt. Our olive shrub (it's not a tree) in the Deux Sevres is quite young and our crop this year is only about 700g, but I can't bear to waste them. A really clear, tried and tested recipe would be wonderful. Also any advice on pruning and general treatment of the shrub.

Thanks

Judith

Sodium hydroxide ?? Are you sure???  That's caustic soda by its proper name and I can't imagine that being any good for olives or you!  If you really want it, it can be bought in your local supermarket or Brico along with the cleaning stuff - it will bring you oven up a treat but wear gloves/goggles/mask

We lived in Spain for a while completely surrounded by olive groves - I hate the things and the only time I have come close to liking them was when they had been soaked in brine by a neighbour - tried it myself with mediocre results. You have to cut the ends off and prick them before soaking them - that's about all I can remember - the sangria was especially good that day...