price of firewood

lizzy h

I have just ordered 200 euros worth of firewood from our local garden centre man last time I ordered I got 2 cords for 300 euros  he quoted me 149 per cord  now for 200 euros  he says 3sq metres is that expensive? and is there 3 sq metres in a cord I think there is so does that mean he is charging me 50 euros extra this time  its coming tomorrow so a quick response would be helpful

I just paid €30 per cubic metre (stere) of seasoned oak in 1metre lengths. I think I remember a debate on this forum as to how many stere there are per cord, and I think the concensus was that it varies from region to region.

I think the price of firewood varies region to region too - not sure where you are, so don't know whether the price I paid will be relevant. the price also varies depending upon the lengths and whether or not it has been split. Personally, for €50 a stere, I would expect it to be split, chopped into the length I required, delivered and neatly stacked.

We currently pay 60-65 euros per stere.  This is dry chene vert, cut to 50 cm lengths.  It is dumped in our drive and we stack it.   Previous disucssions have shown that the price varies enormously throughout France and even in the same area.  It is terribly local commodity.  We know people within 30k who pay 40 euros.  They live in a flat area and don't burn chene vert.  We live in a very heavily wooded steep hill area.  It costs more to get it out.  I think the only way to compare prices and see if you got a good deal is to ask the neighbours.  Prices really do vary.  If you find a neighbour who gets it cheaper or where its drier, try that one next time.  I am a chene vert fanatic, you don't really say what kind of wood you bought.  For me there is nothing whatsoever better than chene vert for serious heat.  YOu also don't say what you are burning the wood in.  and of course the price goes up.  Our price has gone up from 50 euros (to sometimes) 65 in four years.

Last lot I bought was 2 cu m and I paid €55 for it, dumped in my drive, in 1000> 1200mm lengths, bought from the farmer next door.

My wife and I stacked it under cover, and spent an afternoon cutting about a quarter of it to 400mm lengths, and splitting some very thick bits.

I thought around £38 for around two tonnes wasn't bad?

I havent got a clue what type of wood it is and we burn it in two woodburners one a large franco biege the other is also large but hasnt got a glass front, its not our main source of heating as we have oil central heating but its nice to have a fire downstairs, this is only the 2nd lot we bought as we were left loads and its took 3 years to use it but now we are down to nothing, maybe its dearer cos we are getting smaller logs as the last lot were 50 cms long but my mam struggles with the big ones, so how many steres is in 3 cubic metres?

An item on Capital a few weeks ago said that firewood had increased in price by about 50% in the last six months. This is due to the increased demand, and the end of the glut which was  caused by the storms in 2000. They are now importing wood from as far away as Lithuania!