Bee Keeping

tracteurtom

Not sure where to post this, Bees don't really fit into the pets/animal welfare sections, so I thought I'd try here as the Gardeners are more likely to be Bee Keepers.

Are there any Apiculturists out there?

I'm in the Limousin, where the winter (what winter) has been so mild, I don't think the bees have slept, they seem to have been out and about most days.  Noted yesterday that pollen was being brought in to the hives!  I think it may be time to give the bees some food, any thoughts anyone?

If there is an active Bee Section on the Forum, apologies for posting this here, any chance of the link?  Thanks

I suspect that you know more about this subject than me, pcwhizz, but it's not unusual to see "scouts" out on warmer late winter days looking for food plants and mapping them for when the activity really gets going, in my experience in this region this is normally around the end of Feb. early March and not surprisingly coincides with the first flowering of the important plants that they depend on, Goat willow, Pulmonaria, Dead nettle, Dandelions, Plums, Apricots and so on.

On that basis, if you are providing "food" for your hives, sometime in the next few weeks would be appropriate, maybe a bit later rather than sooner, too much activity too soon if followed by a colder spell can cause problems (as I'm sure you know).

Chris

Bang on chris, with that kind of knowledge you must also be / have been a Bee Keeper?

I plan to "heft" the hives this pm (need to don the suit as they are busy!) and make a judgement re feeding from that.   But as you say, a boost now would get the Queen active and then a sudden cold spell could kill the larvae.  Unfortunately my bee books relate to the UK and as we all know, the climate here is somewhat different so bee activity must also be different.  I do have a couple of French books but my French is not good enough to understand the subtlely of the detail and because its a technical subject,  its not fair to ask someone who's not interested to translate.  Bee Keeping is about being in touch with nature and basic instinct is always a good guide - you learn from your mistakes!  It does seem to me though that the Bees has hardly slept this Winter and as a result we seem to have quite a strong worker population, hence my thoughts on feeding.

The  Flowering Redcurrant is a good indicator for the Bee Keeper, once its in flower and its a shirt sleeve day, its time to have a look inside the hives.

Not til the first of May can a Man say that Winter has gone away.  I read this recently, (cant find the source now) but it does have a ring of truth about it, even in France.

[quote user="pcwhizz"]I do have a couple of French books but my French is not good enough to understand the subtlely of the detail and because its a technical subject,  its not fair to ask someone who's not interested to translate.[/quote]

If you don't ask, you don't get! but it could be worth a try... [:)]

[quote]Not til the first of May can a Man say that Winter has gone away.  I read this recently, (cant find the source now) but it does have a ring of truth about it, even in France.

[/quote]

Aha, this refers to the Saints de glace, discussed here...

[quote user="pcwhizz"]

Not til the first of May can a Man say that Winter has gone away.  I read this recently, (cant find the source now) but it does have a ring of truth about it, even in France.

[/quote]

The dates for the last frosts are app. May 15th here and the 8th in the Creuse.

Soon after we moved here, we were speaking with our neighbour saying that we intended to start sowing various seeds. "Non! Quinze Mai!" Eventually we figured out what he meant. He explained that here, the 15th of May is the last known date that frost has been recorded.  An acquaintence in the Creuse told me that her neighbours had told her that it was the 8th there.  This has always surprised me as the winter seems so much harsher in the Creuse than here.  Most people who live near to us are involved in farming, which is perhaps why they have this knowledge?

[quote user="Tay"]..............  Most people who live near to us are involved in farming, which is perhaps why they have this knowledge?

[/quote]

All our neighbours are farmers and I've had the first week of May quoted to me (we're in Correze).   I quoted the "not till the 1st of May ..... " saying to a friend who has farming connections in  Lancashire England and they knew of a similar saying that quoted the end of May.  It would appear to be a very local thing!

On the bee keeping subject. As my wife has a bee in her bonnet about bees and honey. I am trying to find out if anyone has any bee-hives for sale? 1.2 or 3 would do. She is at present researching the subject and trying to enrol on a course.  She does know you have to get permission to keep them and register the hives with the local vet. At this stage I'm just looking for hives without any bees to save me having to make them. If any for sale please P,.M. me. Thanks.

Regards. 5 mins St.Malo.

You can keep up to 10 hives without needing to inform anyone unless they are less than a certain distance from a road or your neighbors, I think it's about 50 metres but don't quote me on that.

Generally it is reckoned, in most regions that aren't up mountains, that the 1st May is safe from frost, but in reality it's unlikely even with changes in weather patterns that there would be an actual freeze in April.

Chris

I found an extremely active "wild" honey bee nest today in a hole in a chestnut tree and I forgot Elm tree family flowers as an early bee food source. If you look in the photo you should be able to see a bee flying into the hole.

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Flowers%20and%20Plants/Wild-honey-bee-nest.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Flowers%20and%20Plants/Elm-tree-flowers.jpg[/IMG]

By the way, pcwhiz, I don't actually keep bees but I think I may in the future.

Chris

[quote user="chris pp"]

Generally it is reckoned, in most regions that aren't up mountains, that the 1st May is safe from frost, but in reality it's unlikely even with changes in weather patterns that there would be an actual freeze in April.

Chris

[/quote]

Tell that to my wife who planted 30 tomatoe plants the last week in April, last year.  We had a 1 night hard frost at the end of April, and they were all but 1 dead.

Re  Bee Hives, Gastines, find your local Bee Keepers store (pages jaune) and have a look there as they often have a For-Sale board.  However, be careful with 2nd hand hives.  Your hives need to be all the same type (in France the Dadant is popular, 10 frame hobby, 12 frame pro) and the Dadant is not compatible with a Langstroth or what ever commonly found in England or other older types /  DIY versions.  Also, be aware of diseases - why are the hives for sale?  Yes, you can sterilise them, but I my view its best to buy new.  Dont forget, the frames are consumables and they make up the most cost of a hive.  A flat pack 10 frame Dadant is around 50 €, not bad?  Unless, of course,  you can drop on a unmissable 2nd hand bargain.  The hives are just the start.................  Get your  nucs order now and with a bit of luck you may have some honey this season.  BTW French bees seem to be very agressive, it may be just my stock, but the black bee is not a nice lady when upset!

Great pics Chris, also just ventured into your web site, I'm on dial up so its a bit slow for me but great info on the French wildlife.  Like the snakes bit, I'm told there are asps on our land and I always tell the kids and visitors to wear wellies.  I now know how to identify them, great, thanks[:)][:)][:)].