Water conservation.

Tillergirl

Other than having water butts. I have a 300 litre Butt that has been empty now for nearly 2 &1/2 weeks and have just bought and installed a 1000 litre Butt/tank.

What other methods are there for saving and retaining water in the garden. I am a novice gardener and this is my first year at growing vegetables aswell.  Where I am in Pas de Calais hasn't seen any rain since the 3rd week in March. Fingers crossed if Meteo is right this time there should be some dropping over me on Saturday afternoon.

I would greatly appreciate any tips you can pass on.

Thankyou in advance.

Sarah.

I use environmentally friendly washing up liquid, so my washing up water can be poured over plants (I only use this on ornamentals, not food crops) - strain the water first if you don't rinse your dishes - you don't want clumps of last nights dinner sitting under your plants in the sun!

Bath water - so long as it's clean water and not rements of a bubble bath, that can go on your garden, including food crops.  You can buy a gadget very cheaply (including Ebay) which you put one end of in the bath ... give it a few squeezes and it will drain out of a hose and into a butt (you need gravity to help, so helpful if bathroom is upstairs).

Put a bowl in your bathroom sink - when you've rinsed your hands this water can be used for the garden.  You can buy great soaps which won't do any harm to your plants.

Good luck - our water butts are empty and we've been watching for the promised rain for days.