Leafless rose bush

Rob Roy

My Queen Elizabeth rose bush in the back garden has plenty of flowers, but most of the leaves seem to have disappeared. I can't see any sign of them having been eaten, and just can't work out what is going on [8-)]. I also have a climbing rose, which is at the front of the house, and one lower section of that is the same. Anyone got any suggestions please?

[quote user="Rob Roy"]My Queen Elizabeth rose bush in the back garden has plenty of flowers, but most of the leaves seem to have disappeared.[/quote]

Did the leaves get discoloured with yellow and brown blotches and drop off?  If so it is probably Rust.  I used to have several Queen Elizabeths and they were very prone to it.  You could spray with a fungicide but the leaves will grow back if you leave it alone.

It could also be black spot, black spots form on the leaves and they drop off and just leave you with the stems and flowers, you need to pick up the fallen leaves and burn or dispose of them, NOT in the compost. New leaves will grow back but if you want to prevent it happening again you need to spray with fungicide, or something like Roseclear. Next year, to prevent it happening again,  as leaves come out spray, and continue to spray at regular intervals during the season. Also a good feed during the growing season will strenghten the plants, and make them more able to fight the disease.

Thanks everyone, having taken another look at the few leaves left I think it is probably Rust. [:@] I don't like using sprays, so might just leave it alone if the leaves eventually grow back. I'll read up a bit more about it and then decide.