My Lawn Dilema Near Montpon

Platini

In November of last year we acquired our holiday home in the Dordogne near Montpon (close to Villefranche-de-Lonchat.) As expected, it has been quite a learning experience (one of the reasons we have done it), and, of course, certain situations are proving to be difficult. Running the house from a distance presents various challenges. So far, we have managed to visit the house one weekend a month, with longer trips planned at Easter, in the summer, and at Christmas. 

The main problem I have at the moment is acquiring a ride-on mower for the 2 arces of lawn. In Montpon, I have been to the shop near Expert, the garden centre heading up to the A89, and Briconaute and can’t really find what I am looking for at the right price. I hate paying over the odds, and tend to use the internet to get the best value for money. A have found a mower on the internet (a McCullough with a 107cm cutting radius for approx. 2100 euros), but as I am not at the property most of the time getting it delivered on exactly the right day is proving difficult.

Therefore, your advice would be gratefully received on the following:

1)      Are you able to recommend any other shops/options in the area for acquiring a ride-on mower?

2)      Is anyone able to recommend a local gardener who can mow my lawn on several occasions a year?

Please advise soonest. With the onset of spring the situation is getting desperate.

Many Thanks

Platini

Hi Platini,

well I'm sort of in your neck of the woods - about 45 mins away.

firstly - do yourself a favour: buy locally even if you do pay over the odds - if you buy cheaper on the net how are you going to get your machine dealt with under guarantee if or when it goes wrong? can you return it and if so how? and believe me they do go wrong! if you do buy locally try to buy from somewhere that has a service dept. If you want advice regarding the type of sit-on you need then let me know.

secondly - if you don't find someone more local to you I may be able to help - I'm not cheap but I am registered and reliable [:)]

Thanks for the reply Gemini_man

I will be doing my best to purchase a mower and get it delivered this weekend. Barring any other options, there is local shop in Montpon that should be able to do this, and they do have a service dept.

We have several visitors (family/friends) using the house in the coming weeks/months. In return they will be mowing the lawn and doing other gardening chores, but there will definitely be times when I will need the services of a gardener. Therefore, please provide details of your hourly rate/charges.

Thanks

Platini  

If you go down onto the 89 and turn left towards St Seurin-sur-l'Isle there's a place on the right (look for the yellow car!) that has a range of new and second-hand mowers both on the forecourt and in the show room. If you carry on to St Seurin there's a couple of other places, including a Weldom who have a range in at the moment

Thanks for the feedback Gemini_Man and Deauville

I wanted to purchase from someone local, but took the opportunity (as I was coming through Bordeaux on Thursday evening) to purchase an MTD (20cv/107) from Leroy Merlin. I got a good deal, but delivery was expensive. Obviously, the distance is an issue if I get problems.

Just as well I took my chance to purchase one. My heart sank when we arrived at the house. The lawn had reverted back to a meadow in the time since our last visit, and the grass (much of it clover & weeds) was between ankle and knee height. I did the mowing over a day and half with lots of wine and food breaks.

Help! I've got soooo much to learn about owning a holiday home in France. [:'(]

Platini

• 6 months later...