Wreath recycling

Sunshine

Whilst taking down my home made out door Christmas wreath, I wondered if I could replace the holy and Ivy with small, low growing plants.

I thought I could make a ring of compost and cover with something like cling film and insert plants that would not trail but would flower.  I do use the hanging bags for my petunias but thought a circular one would be very different.  Perhaps a plant with a fragrance so I could hang it from the door.  What about camomile?

Has any one any suggestions for a plant that will not trail and be pretty.

I don't think cling film would be strong enough?? How would you water it? And also may make plants rot?

I'd make a ring from chicken wire, possibly with a ring of wire for stability and hanging, and line with moss type stuff and fill with compost, then give it a good spraying to water it. Although it may need watering quite often, possibly a couple of times a day in the heat of summer?

Otherwise maybe a dried flower wreath, if it is a sheltered doorway?

Nice idea though!

Cling film was just a quick thought to retain water.  I was thinking on the same lines as those plastic hanging bags for trailing plants.   

I would of course make the usual wreath from wire etc then cover the compost with a water retaining plastic with holes in.  I know I will probably have to submerge the whole thing every few days, but it is possible.  I just need to think about the type of low growing plant that will flower and hopefully fragrant.

An ivy plant or two could be used to wrap round the wreath, this would have to be kept in check.

Any other suggestions 

I have never had any luck with cyclamen every one I have had has died so perhaps they do not like me!.

My flower books are out one loan so I will check the others out soon.  But thank you for the suggestions.

I have just found an old book on rockery perennials and there seems to be a few low growing to look at.

Has any one seen a nice Rockery plant I could use