Polytunnels

Berlioz

I am thinking of getting a largish polytunnel to double as greenhouse/potting shed.  In the UK I had a greenhouse which I really miss but only need something  here for spring/autumn .  My husband will probably divorce me if I fill the house up with hundreds of seedlings again this year!

If you have one please can you tell me:

A) Do they need permission/permit from the Hotel de Ville  like a shed or greenhouses?

B) What make do you have and would you recommend it (or not) ??

C) Is it better to buy direct online or from a Garden centre, we have all the big chains in the area.

D) How does it stand up to strong wind?

E) How long should a cover last?

Merci

B

I'm afraid I can't answer your questions, but I would point out that any plastic in the garden doesn't last long here due to the strong sunlight - and we're supposedly central!

If there are any garden centres/nurseries around you using polytunnels I would suggest you go and talk to them.

When we first moved here I yearned for a greenhouse because I was used to having one, however plants grow so fast in late spring that I've not felt disadvantaged by not having one and starting things off a bit later. Overwintering is a different story though...

hoverfrog

I like to raise seeds indoors, and do several 'batches' so like to start in March, much too cold outside only 4c today and very windy.  I use the utility room which has good light but not much space (I'm a seedaholic and very untidy gardener!)  I have huge cold frames to harden everything off so that isn't a problem.  I would also really like to grow more Autumn/Winter crops undercover.  I will ask at the nursery about the plastic etc.  I know what you mean about the UV and the plastic, the bubble wrap inside the cold frames didn't last very long but I thought the poly covers were UV stable?

B.

I invariably can't resist, and start things off in the workshop and turn them round every day!

Poly covers may well be supposed to be stable, but I think they only have a 3 - 5 year ife expectancy in the UK so that would only be 1 or 2 round here!

Manufacturing may have improved since I studied horticulture, but as even patio furniture becomes brittle after a couple of years I wouldn't hold my breath for poly-tunnels.

Maybe if you took them down and kept them out of the sun in the summer? I guess keeping them out of the worst of the frost would be counter-productive for your needs :)

Frost should not affect the plastic but UV light certainly will - but  being further South does not necessarily mean more exposure because of longer daylight hours further north.  What does effect the lifetime considerably is cloud cover (usually less in much of France) and altitude.

Look for a cover with UV protection - it will cost more, but the extra cost should repay in an extended life.