Butternut bounty

Postie

This is the crop we have from 4 seedlings that I planted out in early May. I took the seeds from a butternut I bought in a UK supermarket so have idea what variety they are. They will keep over winter so no shortage of butternut soup at chez nous!  [:D]

[IMG]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z110/glentham/P9180033.jpg[/IMG]

Mrs Postie

Mrs Postie, I had no idea they are such pretty looking things when they're growing.

My neighbour gave me some ginormous giromandes (spelling?) last year and I still have some cubed in bags in the freezer.

I'm not sure I'm that keen on them but it was a kind thought on his part and I try to mix it with courgettes, potatoes and onions when I make soup.

I also tried roasting them but, again, I wasn't sure they were a great success.

Wish I had your green fingers though; you must have a real talent for making things grow, considering the origin of your seeds.

Thanx very much Sweet - not green fingers, just good soil & good sunshine, I think. I have to admit I don't know what "ginormous girmamdes" are but if they are the huge halloween type pumpkins that they grow here, I agree with you - quite tasteless, that's why I decided to try butternuts. They are brilliant in soup, as a mash or roasted. If you'd like some seeds just shout & I'll put some in the post for you.

Cheers Mrs Postie

Mrs Postie, you dear, kind person.

Thank you indeed but I don't think we have the soil or the ground for growing anything much bigger than a pea.

Our grounds used to be a vineyard so plenty of calcaire and the soil looks so poor that if we see an earthworm, we think it's something to celebrate!

Put in loads of veg peelings, etc. last year (our first here) but the condition of the soil doesn't look much improved. [:(]

We've bought some compost but that's only practical for the few flower beds that we have.  I'm not complaining too much as we have gigantic dahlias and I shall grow hollyhocks this year because I have heard that they grow well in poor soil.

Can't use horse manure or anything too "organic" as we have a spaniel who thinks she's a terrier and digs all day long.  Don't fancy her bringing all that lovely manure back into the house!

Perhaps, Mrs Postie, you can sell off your butternuts; they look like they might attract quite a good price!

Mrs Postie, you dear, kind person.

Thank you indeed but I don't think we have the soil or the ground for growing anything much bigger than a pea.

Our grounds used to be a vineyard so plenty of calcaire and the soil looks so poor that if we see an earthworm, we think it's something to celebrate!

Put in loads of veg peelings, etc. last year (our first here) but the condition of the soil doesn't look much improved. [:(]

We've bought some compost but that's only practical for the few flower beds that we have.  I'm not complaining too much as we have gigantic dahlias and I shall grow hollyhocks this year because I have heard that they grow well in poor soil.

Can't use horse manure or anything too "organic" as we have a spaniel who thinks she's a terrier and digs all day long.  Don't fancy her bringing all that lovely manure back into the house!

Perhaps, Mrs Postie, you can sell off your butternuts; they look like they might attract quite a good price!

One of my fave recipes is with any small squash. Cut it in half remove seeds and fill the hole with sliced red onion and feta, season and drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven until the flesh of the squash is tender. Yummy. Also vary  with other stuff, toms, peppers or whatever you fancy.

I've been growing THIS type for a couple of years, but not tried butternut yet. Well done they look great! [:)]