Arum Lillies

Pat and Don

We have ( had ?) some beautiful arum lillies last year from April to July but a lot of leaves have fallen on them during winter and I have just removed the leaves to find that any shoots coming through now are just slime. Do I have a chance with them this year? Is there anything I could do to help them. I was told to protect the crowns over winter but with what? Any suggestions or advice welcome please. 

We have about a dozen. Magnificent aren't they?

When they've finished I cut them off just above ground level with my hedge trimmer (be careful because the sap stains badly and only fades with washing).

At the moment they are just, as you say, a slimy mess but have no fear, they'll be back. In fact they are very difficult to dig out no matter what you do.

Hi Pat and Don,

You don't say if you have the white one, or one of those newer coloured varieties; also is it in the ground or in a pot.

The common white form rejoices in the name Zantedeschia aethiopica Crowborough (yes, I did have to look up the spelling!) and is best grown with its feet in the water. We had a lovely clump in a stream in our Cornish garden and the water itself protected it over winter.

This comes from South Africa and is hardier than the coloured forms of Z.albomaculata which tend to have white spots on their leaves. They are often sold in flower in garden centres as a patio plant. Minimum winter temperatures for these is said to be 10C, and if (like me) you dont always give them greenhouse protection it may not flower a second year.

If you want to protect crowns outside over winter, straw would be a good material.

Colin the Gardener   36210 France

We live in a bog and have hundreds,they're almost like weeds. It's been down to 17 below one year and that never bothered them. I only cover them if they come up to early with well rotted compost or poo or dead bracken which works brilliantly for any plant protection.