WATERING SYSTEMS

hakunamatata

We are in the process, at some expense I may say, of fitting a Gardena drip system. I am amazed to discover that the longest watering period offered is 1hour per day! This is no where near sufficient for my needs and it is impossible to programme for longer. One program offers 3min a day another 2 hours every 7 days!!!!!! Not a lot of good for newly planted trees for example.  Has anyone else found this with Gardena?  We will probably have to use the 1 hour a day program and then manually set the system up for an extra 30mins afterwards. USELESS  and what type of plant only requires 3mins of watering - a bean sprout perhaps.  We are now in the 90's, thats temperature not our age, so watering is necessary.[:@]

Margaret, it could be the type of timer that you're using.  I've also wondered about the Gardena timers, those that I use are fairly small and they also have a 1 hour max but that suits me.  If it has a manual over-ride button, you can just use that, if the tap is already on it should kick in immediately.  I tend to start mine half an hour early if I want longer than the 1 hour max.

Are you using a trickle system because they will take longer?

And remember the canicule if they declare one this year, that can really upset things with your timers as to the actual time you can use the systems.

Some of the gadgets you can fit will deliver up to 200 l/h ... there's a list here.

The main problem we found was with our timer (the noddy one) - the watering periods can only be set 1-2-3 times a day - so you can't have watering sessions, say, 2 hours apart.