Oak Trees

Bertie

We have a number of old oak trees on the farmers field side of our boundary at our house in the Indre.

On a brief visit last weekend I noticed that the lower half of one of the trees had a grey powdery looking fungus/mould on the leaves. The leaves on the upper half looked normal and there wasn't any other sign of "distress".

Have googled, but not been able to indentify what this could be.

It dosn't appear to have spread to any of the other trees in the row, but it would be a shame if we lose these lovely trees.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Bertie

Hi,

we are also in the Indre.

It has been so wet recently that Mildew is to be expected and I am sure that is what your trees have got.

It may weaken them a little but the effects are not serious in otherwise health trees.

To my mind this is nothing to worry about.

Colin

Hope they will all survive.

I have brought over from UK an 8ft oak tree and planted it here in the Jura at 950m - it is loving it so far- but our winters can be very hard, down to -30C- so the future is very unsure for that lovely tree. What is the best way to protect it this winter?

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully it is just mildew and nothing more sinister,

will have to wait to see until we are down at the end of August.

Mind you, if the weathers been anything like it is here in the UK at the moment, then mildew would not be a surprise.

Regards

Bertie