ground clearance

zippot

we will get into our house in september and the huge garden hasnt been touched for years it a mixture of head high brambles and nettles.i was thinking of getting someone in with a tractor to mow it all down but ill still have to cut again when brambles regrow.So how good are the brushcutters with the metal blades.?? will these go through thick 3/4inch diameter brambles because if they do i would have the tool for when the brambles return, untill we dig them all out.or is there a quicker chemical alternative. thanks Dave

You can get a special blade for "les ronces". Its much like the conventional flat metal blade that the French favour for most cutting but the ends are turned down which much improves the performance. Effectively it cuts a cylindrical hole in the brambles pulverizing them at the same time. I haven't found anl limit to the size of bramble it will efficiently cut.

Most flat and "circular saw" type blades cut well enough th the horizontal plane but because bramble grows in so many directions you have to manipulate the saw much more.  I've use the "ronces" blade for several years professionally and find it very effective and you can use it for grass and light woody growth too.

Cheers

Grumpy