Can Anyone Recommend A Climbing Plant?

meiklejohn

Just about bought a house in Dept 33 and would like to get some climbers planted for growing against a south-facing wall.

Something that grows quickly, doesn't need too much looking after (it's a holiday house) and something that smells nice.

Where is the best places to buy plants in France?

Thanks

MJ - Happy new home.

There are wide regional variations within 33 (where I live too but about 3 hours' drive from you).  What works in one area may not work in another.  So what I recommend is to look at what your neighbours are growing to give you ideas. 

When I arrived in 33 at first, I would plant what I liked but as the plants have died one by one, I have replaced things with what the neighbours are growing, which includes eleagnus, roses, bay, lavender, wisteria, lilac, geraniums.  Most of these are not climbers of course.

As for where to buy them, I have used large garden centres and smaller independent nurseries and found them much of a muchness.  My best bargains have been at market stalls.

Some great ideas.

The clematis seems ideal for a climber and I'll probably put in a Vine as well.

We have a fig tree at the moment, although it's not against the wall.

I love Lavender and Roses in particular too.

I suppose as it's a holiday house I need to keep it simple and that suits me fine!

If you already have a fig, this is the time of year to propagate your plant and its dead easy.

Its done by layering, select a branch at the base of the existing plant (I'm sure its thrown up many runners) bend it over until it touches the ground, a shovelful of earth an a brick to hold it down and leave until Spring.  By then it will have developed lots of roots.  Snip the branch from the main plant and stick it in a pot or in the ground - simples!