Carte de Sejour - Translation of Documents

MarkPDC

If you're applying for a carte de séjour as a cross-border worker/frontalier, which sounds to be MarkPDC's situation, you need to actually have applied for and been granted a workers S1, which you need to then have given to URSSAF to obtain your carte vitale; which hopefully MarkPDC has done.

I've never actually seen a list for the justificatifs cross border workers have to present to obtain a carte de séjour but I would have thought the S1 was one of them.

This might help, but what will happen to the frontalier status for workers that commute between the UK and the EU, is still up in the air.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/work-abroad/cross-border-commuters/index_fr.htm

"I was just wondering how the OP could apply for residence when he neither works in France nor lives here permanently."

Well he would need to meet France's residency criteria, but one of them is that France is where your "foyer" or family home is, so if his wife is living permanently in France then I guess that would be satisfy France as far it goes.

However in this situation HMRC would also need to be satisfied that the family is genuinely resident in France in order for them to issue the workers S1, because without an S1 the person can't claim to be correctly exercising freedom of movement as a frontalier, and none of the other possible statuses for exercising FoM (working in France - self-supporting inactif - UK pensioner or other S1 holder) would fit.

Being a frontalier, ie being employed the other side of a border is not that uncommon a situation, eg. France/Switzerland, France/Belgium etc, obviously not so many Brits do it because it's not so convenient but I'm sure there are plenty that commute via Ryanair flights and ferry crossing every week. But, cross border workers and the posted workers are the ones that seem to be most at most risk from a no deal brexit.

He will live there permanently after next month.

He will work a couple of days every month in the UK, the rest of the time in France.

he has registered his business in France to begin operating in November 2018, receiving his SIRET, INSEE, Mometo Fiscal, NOTIFICATION D’AFFILIATION and a very good French registered accountant...

Thanks again for all the constructive advice.

As CT says, in that case I don't see what the problem would be. If you apply for a titre de séjour as a worker, they're not normally interested in what you did before you set up your business here. Although I suppose if you apply for your titre de séjour very soon after arriving, it's possible that they might.

Personally I think I might consider holding off applying until I'd been established here a few months and could show at least rudimentary accounts for the French business, rather than applying the moment I arrived.

I thought he had started the process? As long as you have asked for one and have a confirmation your be fine. If in doubt ask them, you can do that via email. I think from what ET has said your probably going to have to have one anyway. The benefit is that we know it's free at the moment because the UK is still inside the EU. After the UK has left unless there is a transition period your going to have to pay like any other non EU citizen.

[quote user="MarkPDC"]He will live there permanently after next month.

He will work a couple of days every month in the UK, the rest of the time in France.

he has registered his business in France to begin operating in November 2018, receiving his SIRET, INSEE, Mometo Fiscal, NOTIFICATION D’AFFILIATION and a very good French registered accountant...

Thanks again for all the constructive advice.[/quote]

So the idea that he would need a UK S1 is surely wrong, as the business would need to be registered in France, for someone working in France and is a french resident.

But a french S1 should surely be issued for the time working in the UK????? We had a french S1 when we moved back to the UK, so I know that they issue them.

Also when we moved to France, we had to have carte de sejours, but IF memory serves,

we could not apply for one,before we had been there for three months. No idea if that is still the case.

Applying before even taking up residence is surely unusual.

And as pointed out, waiting times for appointments is dire. I know from french friend,s as they too not only have long waits for appointments, but often they are miles away, this for ID cards and passports.

"So the idea that he would need a UK S1 is surely wrong, as the business would need to be registered in France, for someone working in France and is a french resident."

Yes absolutely idun. I think the confusion came from a previous post where he said

"I am self employed. My business has been operating only in the UK. I will be living in France but commuting to the UK for work a number of days per week."

ie sounded like a cross border worker moving to France but continuing to work in the UK, ie paying UK tax and NICs and covered in France via a UK issued workers S1 (not to be confused by a retirement S1) from the UK.

However, the "number of days per week" has now changed to "a couple of days every month" which totally changes the picture. But you can maybe see where the confusion came from...

Yes, I have found this post rather confusing. Re the timeline and the work schedule.

No idea if anyone working a little in the UK with a french company, would need a french S1 or just a CEAM card, something to be looked into.

We had a french S1 as we moved back during gardening leave and then continued to have one when the french pension started, so 'contributions' were being paid in France. There seemed to be no difference in these S1's either when our situation went from 'working' to 'retired' which would have happened with the old E forms. Also Newcastle were quite clear about this being the correct way to do things. The notion that the NHS is 'free' to residents, somehow doesn't work for the likes of us.

The french S1 stopped when the UK pension kicked in.

At our recent rdv to submit our documents, we asked if translations of the various birth and marriage certificates were obligatory (even though we'd taken ours - had them done ages ago...). We were told that it depends on whether the person dealing with you has enough English to be able to understand the original versions to transfer the necessary data to their systems.

I must say the rdv was as straight forward as I could have imagined. No unexpected documents demanded, we were asked for the following:

1. Identity: Passport + Copy

2. Civil Status: Birth & Marriage Certificates - Copy in both English & French

3. Proof of address: - usual recent bill for each of us

4. Proof of Heath Cover: Original S1 from 2012, then attestations de droits d'assurance maladie collected since then. Printed one off the day before the rdv, accepted as continuous cover.

5. Proof of Means: NHS pension statements (not translated) + Avis d'Impots 2012-18 - I was asked to point out my pension income on the avis, which was then highlighted

6. Proof of Continuous Residence: One document from each 6 month period, various, including utility or phone bills, rental contract, quittences de loyer from when we rented, the odd bank statement where there was a gap to fill.......

7. Mrs DD is a autoentrepreneur, so didn't need to prove income, merely that she has had her business continually for at least 5 years. She took registration documents, attestations fiscales, turnover declarations, business tax demands and receipts kbis, etc. She didn't have to prove continuous health cover either, as it is intrinsic to being an autoentrepreneur....

I took the step of scanning and saving most documents digitally at home before the rdv, so with the exception of passports and certificates, was happy to hand over originals for the authorities to keep. As I said at the time, 'it's more paper for you and less for me', which the nice lady found quite amusing (she had a sense of humour thank God).

Finger prints were scanned, temporary cards issued, and we were on our way in under an hour. Not sure what it is like in other departements, but those who had turned up on spec to be seen without rdv were in for a very long wait, the waiting room was standing room only......