Hydrangas

sueyh

A friend of mine has been given a hydranga.  She was given it at the end of April and told not to plant it out for a couple of months.  We live in Northern France, just north of Amiens.  Could anyone advise me of when she should plant it?  Many thanks as always.

Suey

I'm in the same area and I would say it is safe to plant it now.  With a young plant it's best if you wait until the frosts pass, with an established plant it doesn't matter and will survive low temps.  As a tip, don't cut the dead flower heads off untill Spring.  It looks untidy but protecs the plant from the worst of frost and snow.

• 2 months later...
Agree with Pierre; if its in a pot its fine to plant it now. We have several in our garden in the UK but the ones that grow the best (stay green and flower profusely) are planted in a semi shaded area. Don't think they like full sun and when you see them in parks and gardens over here they tend to be in a "woodland" type setting.  Keep well watered until established.  I started leaving the flower heads on my bushes 4 or 5 years ago and the plants flower much better like this.  Wait until frost has passed and some green shoots appear, then cut the heads off.  It went down to minus 17 last winter and our hydrangas were fine.