And another thing.....

Coco

I'm in whinging mode today. Am I the only mug that waits around for people who don't arrive when they say? I know I could say no one can come in til 5 or 6pm (I think GdF say this is the norm) but when people have got off ferries at 11.30 in the morning and want to start their holiday I like to be as accommodating as possible and let them in at least after lunch.

I've now been "housebound" since 1pm waiting for a couple who were arriving at Cherbourg at 11.30 and wanted to "dump" their things here before they went out for the rest of the day. It's now 4pm and they haven't arrived yet.

It really annoys me that people don't consider that you may have a life as well - or may even want to go out to buy the ingredients for their dinner tomorrow night!!!!

How do the rest of you avoid this situation? Or does it just go with the territory? Annoying as it is.

My next worry is... if they have gone out for the rest of the day - we're due out to dinner at 7pm. What if they haven't arrived by then?

Coco

Coco,

We tell our guest on our website and in all correspondence, time of arrival is from 16.30 and if they are going to be later than 19.30 then please inform us.

As you say, you cannot and should not be expected to simply hang around on the whim of guests thoughts, as to when they will arrive.

Last month we went out to lunch (one of our only pleasures during the season due to demand). We arrived back home at around 15.45 to 2 cars with a couple of guests in each. They seemed a little annoyed that we were not here when they arrived. We explained that we cannot for many reasons (not less our sanity !)be on hand before 16.30 and always ensured that all clients were aware of this and were asked, to please not arrive before 16.30

One client said that he always liked to arrive early to leave his luggage before going out. We said, "why did you not let us know that"? His answer was that all the B&B's they have ever used, the hosts were always there at any hour.

Well around here, especially with the French, that is most certainly not the case and any early arrival without warning is seen as extremely rude and between 12.00 and 14.30 are hours held as private. That is not to say with advance advice we would not let them in, marriages (don't go there!)are the obvious ones.

Coco, make the rules, always be polite, the use of the permanent grin helps! Those that do not want to abide by the "rules" can look elsewhere. What could be fairer for both parties?

You are now angry and it really can all be avoided by you telling clients the expected hours of arrival and departure. There is nothing wrong with explaining the hours and it is generally expected by the French.

Miki

Goes with the territory I'm afraid and not just with b&b.
It's your place - you make the rules.
We make sure that everyone is told on confirmation that we anticipate first night arrivals between 1600 and 1900 and to make sure they let us know if it is to be earlier or later. GdF advise that if no show or no contact by 1900; you are free to relet the room and the deposit is forfeit - haven't gone down that route yet.
We've had guests arrive late but very contrite due to transport difficulties; they were lucky we stayed in, but you aren't obliged; you have a life. So far only 2 no shows - late bookers so no deposit, and one of those did phone to let us know albeit at 10pm; by which time we'd given them up anyway, but the wine had made me more mellow than 2 hours earlier
If you put it in writing in your confirmation letter; they have only themselves to blame if you aren't on hand 24/7. Mostly I find folk are considerate; as usual it's the odd few that make life difficult.
Suze

I agree, it's part of life. Whatever rules you make there are always some who don't turn up and won't let you know. It can be very annoying, particularly if Mrs C is at work and I need to go out and get stuff. Under such circumstances we'd have no hesitation about keeping the deposit.

It works the other way too. We recently were unable to take up an enquiry so referred them to another nearby (English-owned) B&B. We afterwards learned that apparently the guests turned up at the right place at the appointed time, nobody there, no note left, and after a loing wait they were forced to go off and find a hotel at a late hour.

Will (50)
Forum moderator