Sometimes theres no getting round it!!

Coco

Ive complained in the past about no-shows. Ive decided that its vital to take a 50% or one night minimum deposit to try and avoid this. Now we have the situation of someone booking five nights (and paying a 50% deposit), but because its raining theyve decided to go home after three!

It looks as though Ill retrieve one of those as I have already received an enquiry for someone wanting a room for tomorrow night but what do you do?

The only thing I think you can do is say thats life (you b@st**ds!) How can you demand the remaining money off them? Or would you?
Coco

Coco,

I have to admit that is unfortunately part of the business we are in. There is very little or indeed nothing one can do about it, more's the pity.

I tell them they will have to pay but according to G de Fr rules and the clients that come through them (direct, by the guide book or through their website etc)they can cancel at up to 24 hours before without charge !!

What b----y rubbish, how they can expect us to re-let a room at that short notice, more galling if you have turned away lots of other potential clients in the meantime

Some will pay for fear of a legal letter coming through the post but that is highly unlikely from our part, far too much hassle for the likely result of nothing !

I think maybe you should make a list of your policy on cancellations, such as:

1. All reservations must give 7 days cancellations notice, otherwise all advance bookings must be paid in full.

2. Please ensure you have a current insurance policy in the event of a cancellation, this will help you to get re-imboursed for any such happening.

There are many other things you could put down but most of it is bluff but we do it and of course with the threat of us having their card details on record, makes them think twice befoe not arriving or leaving early.

On the subject of credit cards.

I had reason to go to a bank here with a friend who wanted to hire a machine and use it in his gite/B&B business.

As you have already stated, no can do without a siret number, in other words, registering at the Ch de Com is the only way.
I questioned as to why this was as you can take a cheque which is simply a "paper credit card" as the funds all comes from the clients account, well with the French anyway but the bank say that the Ch de Com or Greffe are responsible for this and their hands are tied.

Having a machine is seen as being professional, so in fact, it is probably all the Hotels, Campsites and the like who have forced this issue. They do not like B&B's as we take some of their business of course.

The banks would willingly hire clients the machine but cannot without the siret number. This was not always the case by the way.

By the way Coco, Malcolm Wood and his wife thank you for a lovely stay last week and are with us here now !! Small world eh!

Miki

As someone who has spent most of the last 2 years either renting holiday accommodation or living in hotels whilst away on business, I feel for you.

My expectation is that if I book somewhere for a week and then decide to leave after 3 days, I expect to be charged for 1 week as it is too late to re-rent that part of a week.

The only exception I would make to this (and no inference here...) is if the property or hotel room is clearly not as advertised (dirty, noisy, sub standard, artistic license used in advertising etc), then I would not expect to pay for any days that I did not stay there.

There are a number of occasions that I have decided that I could no longer stay in a property (usually after the first daysometimes as soon as I am shown the room) and have informed the owner (manager) that I will only pay for the duration of the stay thus far (or requested a refund of outstanding monies if payment made in advance) and this only after I have discussed by complaint with the owners (manager) of the property.

Where there is any dispute and the property has been organised through an agency, I usually take pictures or video and send this with accompanying letter to state my point in order to obtain a refund (this has only happened twice in 10 years and both times were in UK).

My point is, you provide a service and should expect payment unless it is your fault that the booking is terminated early.

For what its worth.

Mike Longhurst