Liability Insurance

Agenais

Having read through many threads on liability insurance, the onus seems to be on the guest, for them to have adequate travel insurance, including third party liability just in case they decide to raise the place to the ground, God forbid.  The public liability threads seem to concentrate on Gites and I can find no reference to B&B's requiring additional assurance.  So, if a guest, staying in your house, comes tottering down the stairs and goes base over apex, I presume that it is the guests travel insurance that covers such potential incidents, assuming that all reasonable steps are made by the owner to minimise accidents or incidents. But, given the nature of humans, accidents do happen.      

It's the same for B&B's but the truth is that many don't bother with travel insurance especially if they drive over.

We have  extra cover in the form of an attachment to our house insurance. This does several things, if the person falling down the stairs lands on  my wife and breaks her leg I get help to run the B&B. It includes the guests for accidental damage and I have additional legal cover. The cost, a extra 30€ per year with Banqque Populair (the insurance is actually wtih MASSIF). They also have a 24/7 multi lingual hot line.

I believe it is obligatory to advise your insurance company if you take in paying guests. Our house insurance is with Groupama and they visited the house,looked at the rooms/stairs/secondary lighting system/fire-doors etc[luckily most of which were already in-situ when we bought the property ] and then sent us a revised insurance to suit. Mind you,Quillan's company sounds a better deal!!

Regards.Nr,St.Malo.

Quillan's does indeed sound a good deal - our guest insurance cover is through AGF and it's 12 euros per room - I believe (and someone please tell me if I'm wrong) it is needed not only for accidents, but also because anly claim for burglary or theft from your property would probably be contested by your insurance company if they did not know that paying guests had the run of your house.  Ditto if visitors accidentally set fire to it! 

We are also insured with AGF and they charge per room.  We also have insurance against 'intoxication alimentaire' (food poisoning) in case himself does the cooking!! [:)] Seriously, believe this is obligatory if you serve food.  From memory I think we pay 60 euro a year extra (4 rooms max 9 guests).  Have extra insurance for car too so that we can pick up guests from airport - cost extra 30 euros per year. 

I am unable to get cover if I am ill/incapacitated and am interested that Quillan has managed to get this - any idea what they call it?

Maggi

Many thanks for all the replies, they are very helpful and contact will be made to the insurance company to check the current policies and make any ammendements.  It is just for one room, but rather be safe than sorry.  Je vous remercie encore

A

We have had a few insurers this year who have plied for our "trade" but one stood out.

GAN, who we have never dealt with before in France, appear to have

studied the gîte and chambre d'hôte business and have obviously talked

with G de Fr as they have their badge attached in their blurb

about the many aspects of running either (or both) legally and

professionally. Finally, after many years, we seem to have a proper and

exact, legally termed insurance quote. I kid you not, half the time,

things like CdH and others were simply hotchpotches of ideas of how you

should be insured but in reality were not really suited to many

B&B's...Why ?

Well because unless you were registered with the C de Com, you were not

recognised as professional enough to have proper cover e.g, among other

things,  loss of earnings if any or all the rooms were out of use

due to say, a fire, pipe burtsts etc etc,  help with employment if

you were unable

to work yourself (take Chris's example of just 35€,  if one of

them cannot work and that is for someone who is registered !!) Now GAN

have come up with something for everyone in the business.  Well I

say everyone, this is from the bureau at Cancale but perhaps it is for

all of those in France, who want good cover at a fair price.

Our quote for the next period, was little more than our old assurer but

far more exact and wordied to insure that everything is covered, yes,

as Maggi previously stated, inc. the poisoning of any guest, which is imperative and 100% obligatory for anyone doing TdH.

Do be very, very careful, French insurers are infamous for saying one is covered when in fact one is far from being covered in

any meaningful and legal term ! I read this new devis carefully over an

evening and realised that a few things on it were never really stated

on any of our old annual insurance covers due to thinking that it was

an insurers job to make sure you were properley covered for what you

needed to be......................silly me after all these years you

would think I ought to have known that...........[;)]