inserts

Wilko

Hi

I tried this on the reno section but no replies.

Looking for a bit of help. i am going to install an insert in the entree. Anybody have recommendations as to what make? I was thinking of something with a 2 speed fan to throw the heat into the room at low level. Also have noticed that some of them have pipe openings on the top which I assume you can conect up and heat the bedroom(s) above?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated..

Cheers

Wilko

I suggest that you either check out one of the Brico sheds (Intermarché have a selection) or, even better, your local quincaillerie and see if they supply and fit. Ours did, free fitting and a better price than the sheds. They should have a range for you to look at, and from there you can check out websites. Ours is a Godin, no fan, but looks good, when we arrived at the quincaillerie he just told us that this was the one all the English people bought, and in the end we did...

I don't think inserts are as efficient as free-standing wood-burning stoves but if you go the insert route, definitely buy one with a fan - if you can find out how noisy the fan is before you buy it, so much the better. A less efficient alternative (imo) is, as suggested, to make use of the warmed air by either vents in the room or alternatively in the room above. You definitely want to utilise the extra available heat one way or the other.

We used an insert here when the house was a holiday home and it would warm up the room from scratch in December in about 2 hours - fan full on. Now we're here full-time, we have a free-standing model.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I suggest that you either check out one of the Brico sheds (Intermarché have a selection) or, even better, your local quincaillerie and see if they supply and fit. Ours did, free fitting and a better price than the sheds. [/quote]

Also, if you get them to fit as well as supply you will get it at 5.5% TVA instead of 19.6%.  The difference for us was that our woodburner (including all the pipework, fitting and delivery) ended up costing us quite a bit LESS than it would have done had we bought it, struggled home with it and fitted it ourselves.  And no cursing and bad tempered OH to put up with!!! [;-)]

[quote user="catalpa"]  definitely buy one with a fan - if you can find out how noisy the fan is before you buy it, so much the better. 
[/quote]

This is a good idea if possible, we didn't expect our two speed fan to be quite as noisy - the TV needs turning up when its on full blast!  The fan cannot be switched off at the socket as this risks damaging the thermostat which turns it automatically onto full speed if the fire reaches a certain temperature (bit dubious as to how this works).   Does warm the room very quickly, though is only a small room 5x4mtrs, the insert is an 8kw.   Also we have found that ours is inserted just a bit too high up above floor level, the nearer the floor the better the air circulation around the room for keeping the feet warm. We are happy enough with its performance and it's neatly tucked away in the exisiting small fireplace. There must be quite a lot of heat lost up the chimney though.